Oil Boiler Flame goes out

Hi,

Having trouble with out eight year old Trianco Utility. Initially we were getting many lockouts (shuts down with warning light, which needs resetting) and bad ignition. After the service gent replaced the oil pump (twice, the first one failed) and sensor and disconnected the Tiger Loop, these went away. He also replaced the coil/transformer but concluded this was not at fault and re-fitted old unit. Had been regularly serviced previously and we do have confidence in the current company.

Lockouts/bad ignition have gone away. Problem now is that the flame extinguishes briefly after 5/10mins running, leaving the oil pump still running, and then reignites shortly after. This cycle occurs continuously.

The boiler man now thinks the balanced flue is leaking fumes into the air inlet, which extinguishes the flames. This sounds a convincing argument, except I hadn't noticed this problem before the latest round of changes. When he runs it with the air pipe disconnected from the flue (and the flue inlet blocked), the problem seems to go away.

Problem is, so much has changed and before I add significantly to an already-high bill, I want to be sure. Not sure extent to which the problem is caused by:

- the flue (and I assume I hadn't noticed it previously), and/or

- the new pump, more powerful than the OEM (a Danfoss 11L3, now a

21L3), and/or

- the removal of the Tiger Loop.

Anyone had this experience before?

Happy New Year

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Hi Ron, I have a Trianco Reffire which is some 15-20 years old and still going well. It sounds to me as if you have either a blocked jet or a blockage in the fuel line. Maybe your tank filter needs changing. Also water in the fuel can cause this so you may need to drain a bit from your tank to check. TonyB PS What's a tiger loop?

Reply to
TonyB

We have a new jet (maybe it is faulty?) but will see if I can check the rest. Certainly the guy working on it had a reasonable flow from the pipe when he was priming the new pump.

I too had never met one until we moved into this house. It is a device to remove air from oil (and probably other things). Said to be desirable under various circumstances including when your tank is low cf your boiler (which ours is). Some on this forum seem to value it, others less so!

See

and look at heating products.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

** Sounds good. However, it only takes the tiniest bit of crud to block a jet so it might pay to try another. Always handy to have a spare anyway and it's an easy DIY fit.

Thanks for that, sounds like the anti-syphon device. Good luck! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB