not much hot water?

Hi I'm not very good with plumbing so any simple answers would be appreciated. My hot water was working fine until a few days ago, now I'm only getting about a sink full of hot water before it starts running cold. The immersion is obviously working as I am getting some hot water but why would I only get a sink full rather than a tank full? Thanks for any help tosh
Probably because the element is on its way out, and the bottom part of it has gone. In the next few days it will probably stop working altogether!
If not you are losing water or heat somewhere, if i were you i would replace or have replaced, the immersion heater now.
John NW England

Before replacing the element consider a faultly themostat. Turn the power to the immersion off and remove the cover on top of the immersion. There should be a thermostat there. Increase the temperature on the thermostat first. If that fails to get you hot water then short the thermostat out with some 2.5 cable and then see if your water gets hot.
Adam

water
Adam
ARWadsworth spoke thusly:

Many thanks for all your help, I managed to order a new heater from screwfix 5 minutes before their 6 o'clock cutoff last night and it arrived at 8 this morning, I've just had a loveley hot bath :)) thanks again tosh
Tosh wrote:

We had a post here recently with similar problems - they had *two* immersion heaters and the main one had gone faulty, leaving the little one at the top still working.
It only heats the very top of the tank, so you wouldn't ever get a full tank full.
So, look to see if you have two.
If you do, it could be a fuse, the timeswitch, the isolator switch, the thermostat, the element or the wiring...It might just have got switched off, by mistake...
--
Sue

Tosh wrote:

Some immersion heats have two elements. A small one for a sinks worth of hot water and a big one for a baths worth.
It sound like the big one has gone one circuit & you will need a plumber (unless you know how too) to replace it.
zaax