Noisy immersion

Hi I have the hot water tank situated in my bedroom, I am on Economy 7 and the immersion heater kicks in at 1am and comes on and off during the night. This is very disruptive and giving me sleepless nights.

I have talked to a plumber and he says the tank cannot be moved as there is nowhere else suitable to put it.

Has anyone got any ideas of how to make the heater less noisy ? I am at my wits end with it! I have just had the both immersion heaters replaced in the tank to the parts are new.

TIA

Michelle.

Reply to
m.deeprose

What sort of noise? The kettle- noise as the water heats?

Only three things that you can really do with noise, stop it, mask it, or attenuate it.

You can stop it by not switching it on before days when you will be mostly out and could manage just on the smaller peak-electic heater. You may even save money that way, on days that you don't need much hot water. Or add a short-burst controller, so the heater is switched on and off every seconds or so while it is "on" - thus not forming the cavitation bubbles that make the noise.

You can mask it with another, more acceptable, noise - I know that may sound daft, but it does work. I rented a flat with thin walls once where the neighbours, well, it was probably just envy on my part..Anyhow, I had a "mood radio", I think it was, that had a selection of sounds, that you could leave running quietly all night, like wind blowing trees and waves on a beach. It worked for me - apart from the waves one that kept me awake going to the loo..Or getting pregant and having a small baby in the room will do it - you won't hear the heater then..

Then you can attenuate the sound. Turning down the thermostat may do it. Fitting a lower wattage/different shape element. More insulation on the tank. Change the cold water stopcock setting to more open or more closed.

HTH Sue

Reply to
Palindr☻me

When I had exactly the same problem, option 3 did the trick for me and I still get plenty of hot water. In case the OP doesn't know, what you do is switch the power off and remove the cover where the cable goes into the tank. Between the connections you should see a little dial with temperature numbers on it. Use a screwdriver to tweak it down a bit. Box up, power on and see how it goes.

Reply to
Bob Watkinson