need advice fitting electrical sockets

Going to upgrade all the single sockets in the house to doubles, I've ordered the parts from Screwfix, the wall inserts etc. thing is I've never done this drilling into walls and chiseling out thing, is it easy to get a good fit? I've ordered a masonry drill bit and a 1 inch cold chisel do you think that will be suitable for the job?
Marvin wrote:

I'm not sure what it is called - but I got this neat (cheap) plastic tool from a DIY barn that does the job brilliantly. It consists of a block of tubes that outline a single and double socket plus more tubes that go diagonally across the centre(s). It comes with a drill bit with an adjustable stop.
You just set the stop, position the tool where you want the socket and drill down each tube for the outline you want..It is then a doddle to break out the material between the holes. Result, perfect hole to an even depth each time.
I've been trying to find them on the internet for you, without success - maybe someone with better searching skills than I can find one!
It really works incredibly well and is the nearest thing to idiot proof.
--
Sue

You could have saved yourself so much mess and trouble by using these babies:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 31914&ts5274&id849
Take old single socket off wall, insert and tighten wires and screw onto original single box. Easy peasy and jobs a goodun !
--
the_constructor

the_constructor wrote:

This is an excellent method of converting single to a double socket, although one or more of the connecting wires may need to be extended. This can be done with crimp connectors, preferably made off with a decent ratchet crimping tool. Still much cheaper and easier than fitting new double wall boxes and sockets.
Terry D.
Terry D wrote:

How is it cheaper? The parts are about the same price.

It will be cheaper when you do not have to buy filler and paint. The chances of changing a single backbox to a double without any damage is quite low.
Adam
ARWadsworth wrote:

I have a question how do you attach the backboxes into the wall so they dont fall out? They dont seem to come with screws.

Please tell me you are not serious. If you are then for a brick wall try red wall plugs such as http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FXRP.html with a 5.5mm hole made with a 5.5mm masonry bit in a hammer action drill and use some 1 1/2" no. 8 screws.
Adam
ARWadsworth wrote:

ok thanks, yes I am serious, not done much stuff like this before.

Dont forget to turn off the power.
JBT wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 31914&ts5274&id849
Don't forget that you will need metal AND dry lining back boxes (for plasterboard walls). Also the wiring may still require extending. I would still go for the Screwfix conversion kit. 3.49 (or 2.99 if bought in fives) is a bargain. Additionally, no removal of old wall box, no drilling or chiselling out, no plugs & screws, no making good. I've converted using both methods and believe me, the conversion kit is a no-brainer - it's a ten minute job.
Terry D.

One thing to watch for are thin walls. The drill bit pops out in the adjacent room.
Adam