Loss of water pressure

Any advice please on the cause of a severe drop of water pressure.The water ran orange/rust coloured for a short time ,seconds ,now there is a very slow flow not enough to work the multipoint.We live in an old mid terraced house neighbours not affected. Tia.

Reply to
davej

Is this the cold water supply from a storage tank or a rising main?

Reply to
Curious

Its a rising main -no storage tank.

Reply to
davej

There could be a leak in the pipe that brings water from the stoptap outside your property and into your house. Does it run underground outside your house?

Reply to
Curious

Well if it's not affecting you neighbours who pres use the saim main then it's your mains supply at fault.

There should be a stopcock between your hse and the water main. This will be covered bt a small square or round cover, marked water. Has someone messed around with it?

If this is fine then either the supply pipe has burst/been damaged or the stopcock in your hse is knackerd/been messed with. Does the stopcock turn easily, does opening this up fully solve the prob?

Any sign of a leak or ground work outside between the pavement and your house? The main should be 3ft down so there may be no visible sign of a leak at ground level. Unless you've had some serious digging done then the main won't have been damaged but that doesn't mean it hasn't broke.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks all replies-stoptap still stops the water what little there is,no sign of a leak.Would I be able to hear water flowing through the stoptap if I use a large screwdriver or metal bar?

Reply to
davej

Yes, but on the stoptap on the pavement or wherever it is outside the boundary of your property. By the way, if this is a pre-1938 property the water supply company should fix a leaking pipe that is on your property and which is normally your responsibility.

Reply to
Curious

Thanks for that info-the water co.are sending someone tomorrow afternoon . The stop tap is just inside my boundery

Reply to
davej

The man from the water comp. said it was strange. He said he didn't think it was a leak because he couldn't hear it and he thought the stop tap was ok by the way it worked and felt .He has booked a replace stopcock to eliminate it. When I asked him if he was saying it was 99% a problem on our side he said yes- but it might not be!

Reply to
davej

If a replacement stopcock doesn't fix the problem then there must be something wrong with the supply pipe from the stopcock to your taps, or possibly with the stopcock in your house. It is possible for a washer to disintegrate and block the flow of water.

Reply to
DIY

I have JUSTUNSCREWED THE STOP TAP AND LOTS OF WATER CAME OUT CAN'T SEE IT BEING THAT ANYMORE.

Reply to
davej

Which side mains or house side?

If you unscrewed the mains side then it's your stop c*ck at fault, relatively cheap and easy to fix. If you unscrewed it the other side of the stop c*ck then there is a blockage in the pipework, potentially tricky to find and a more difficult problem, though not beyond a competent DIYer.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to