Laser Level ?

Hi all

I got one of those B & Q 3 in 1 Pivot Point Laser Level as a pressy, when i shine the line on the wall it has a slight arch to it (with the line spread about 4 metres it arches by about 8 cm in the middle)

Is this normal or should it be bang on straight? I dont want to change it if they are never perfect and end up with one thats worse.

Karl

Reply to
Karl

Not an answer, but I got one from screwfix recently that can project a horizontal and / or vertical line. The vertical beam is spot on but my horizontal is out. Both are straight though

Ian

Reply to
IED

Well, that has put me off purchasing one of those !!!

Back to the traditional bubble.

-- the_constructor

Reply to
the_constructor

I bought a cheap one in Robert Dyas, took it back the next day. Couldn't see the line in daylight!

There are some bad ones out there!

Reply to
dave

Hi,

I bought a cheapo one of these off ebay. It is straight. At the risk of stating the obvious, the laser beam will always come out of the tool straight no matter what the arrangement of lenses. Even if the wall or whatever is uneven, the laser will still show a straight line. Is it perhaps something to do with the way that you are using the tool? If not take it back - it will be useless for its intended purpose.

By the way, I was in Woolies today, they are on offer at £5.99 (same as mine) what a bargain.

I do not work for Woolworths!

Reply to
Chris

Am I misreading this? Surely the laser has to travel in straight line? Have you noticed anything weird near the laser beam, like your furniture or car suddenly vanishing into what appears to be a black hole?

Reply to
dimble

Oh yes..a black hole..that will bend the light larff

Reply to
Chris

It's a faulty lens Karl, cant be the beam itself as they can only travel = in straight lines, or be reflected/deflected/bounced off solid or = mirrored (see below) angles. It would therefore seem your lens needs = spectacles, as it hasn't been 'milled' properly, but, somehow managed to = pass the quality control folks @ the manufacturers.

One other possible cause is, is it metallic paint or a very glossy = wallpaper (possibly highly shiny vinyl) you're bouncing the line on to? = if so, the metallic elemenets in the paint, or the sheen in the paper, = may be causing the 'bounce/reflection' you've mentioned? However, I've = never seen it @ any more than 5cm over a 4m run before, quite minor in = detail normally and usually detected as more of a 'smudge' than an arc.

I presume you've checked your findings using a 'square' edge, to ensure = it's not a 'trick of the eye caused by environmental factors, or very = very unsquare wall ?

New lens from retailer/manufacturer? Take it back?=20

John

--=20 Remove 'spamfree' to reply

Reply to
John (aka wheelzuk)

Just to add, its not one of them that you hold against the wall, you use it by facing the wall like a film projector. Im going to get it swapped soon so ill see what happens.

Karl

One other possible cause is, is it metallic paint or a very glossy wallpaper (possibly highly shiny vinyl) you're bouncing the line on to? if so, the metallic elemenets in the paint, or the sheen in the paper, may be causing the 'bounce/reflection' you've mentioned? However, I've never seen it @ any more than 5cm over a 4m run before, quite minor in detail normally and usually detected as more of a 'smudge' than an arc.

I presume you've checked your findings using a 'square' edge, to ensure it's not a 'trick of the eye caused by environmental factors, or very very unsquare wall ?

New lens from retailer/manufacturer? Take it back?

John

Reply to
Karl

I would get the longest straight edge I could. Either a level or a board (you can check its accuracy by eye). Place this on the wall and see if it meets the wall right the way along. A plastered wall is rarely flat and a small curvature will give the effect you see. Of course, if you've tried the level on several walls and got the same effect then ignore this remark :-)

Kratos

Reply to
kratos

Its because you are projecting the beam up or down. If you very carefully level it using the built in spirit levels, bingo a completely straight horixontal (or vertical) line, but in my experience at completely the wrong height to be useful for the job in hand. So either invest in a tripod, piles of books (my initial choice) or fork out and buy a proper self leveling laser line and tripod, which unfortunately are not cheap.

I borrowed a self leveling one a while back to piant lines in a room, did a

360° rotary sweep which is handy. Just setup in middle of room, turn on, wind handle to correct height and a line is shone all round the room. The Screwfix code 28030 looks like it autolevels, (ie has a pendulum) but is not 360° but looks very useful for DIY.
Reply to
Ian_m

I would of thought if the line is straight at level then the line is still going to be straight tilted up or down, the line still arches when its level by the way. using the cross laser i get a straight line but its not wide enough to use that instead. As its a pressy Im just waiting on the reciept so I can swap it.

Reply to
Karl