Kitchen Floor

Hi, Have spent ages removing some old damaged lino floor tiles but now have the problem that I am left with the black tar like adhesive, what is the easiest way to remove this? I have tried a heat gun but that just spreads it! I am eventually going to tile it with ceramic floor tiles. Any ideas or advice would be great help. Cheers Rob

Could you cover the tar with ply?
Adam