Immersion heater element length

Page 1 of 3

The immersion heater element in my hot water cylinder has failed. The problem is what length of element shall I get? I can already hear someone saying, 'why don't you take it out first and have a look?' Well that makes perfect sense, of course, but I need to travel a few miles to get a box spanner to get it out first. When I go to get the spanner it would be much easier - and quicker - to get the element at the same time.
The cylinder is about 15 years old and of the indirect type - although not used in mode. It is 36 inches high and the element is fitted at the top. I see two different lengths available at my supplier: 11 inches and 27 inches. Which is it likely to be, or is there no way of being certain?
Thanks for any help.

When the element is fitted from above it usually is the 27 inch version.
The 11 inch versions are fitted in the side and used on economy 7 setups.
Adam

Looking at the angle of insertion - as suggested by John - it does look as if the 27 inch one would fit ok. The only problem would seem to be is whether or not it would come into contact with the heat exchanger.

It will not come into contact with the heat exchanger.
OK so I have only swapped two immersions this year (it is a job I try to avoid).
The threads align the immersion so that it does not touch the exchanger.
Adam

Thanks for that. I'll get the 27 inch one. In the [unlikely] event that it's wrong, I suppose I can always take it back - be a nuisance, though!

Then the simplest answer would be to get one of each on the basis that you can take back the one you don't use at your leisure.
Steve

taking things back to be exchanged but I don't like saying to them - "I haven't used this one, can I have my money back please?"!

Two tips. Start spraying the thread with WD40 or similar a few days before you try to remove it. Buy the heaters at Wickes who have a no quibble returns policy.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Excellent tips, thank you. I was going to Screwfix, which is about 30 miles away (we live out in the sticks!), and there is a Wickes nearby so I think I'll do what you recommend.

seal' of the heater. The logic being that copper cylinders are a bit like baloons - they need the internal pressure to give them strength. Is this still accepted as the best way?
Thanks OJ

There is no need to drain the cylinder at all for this. Quite often there is no means by which to drain the cylinder.
Drain or isolate the header tank and just catch any water that runs out from the immerion hole with some towels.
Adam

You may even be lucky and find an isolating valve twixt header tank and cylinder. Mine has that and it makes life very easy.
--
Tinkerer

It takes no luck to find an isolating valve between the header tank and the cylinder.
It takes good luck to find an isolation valve between the header tank and the cylinder that actually works:-)
Adam
On Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 10:49:58 PM UTC, Farmer Giles wrote:

And although it's unlikely that they will refuse, there's no law that says they have to take it back. Only if it's a distance sale (mail order or internet).
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk (ARWadsworth) wrote:

I had to change my bottom immersion (short) about a year ago. It had only been fitted a few years ago. No matter what I did or used, I just couldn't shift it. In the end I had to replace the whole tank. The long immersion in the top (fitted at the same time as they were cheap, but never used) was jammed solid as well. Really pxxxd me off as what was going to be a half hour's job took over three days as the plumbing had to be altered to fit the connections on the new tank.
Roger

27" is what you require for your indirect cylinder.
sometimes the length is printed on the label on the head part

All that's printed is 'NL27PT' - which does seem to suggest 27inch. I'm off to get one now, I will report back.

It's a Newlec one. The Newey and Eyre website confirms that it is 27inch. The 11inch ones are listed as 'NL11'.
Many thanks to everyone for the superb help and tips.

Now you've got the hard bit. Unless you're lucky.....
--
Tinkerer