Flourescent bathroom light???

I want new bathroom light
not interested in spots
prefer the benefits of fluorescent = low wattage/high light output/ no heat/safer
prefer 60 watt circular/square fitting (not long tubes)
struggling to find much/anything
anyone seen such a beast??
JethroUK wrote:

Why not put a CFL into a standard bathroom fitting?
Bob
message

.... or buy a suitable outdoor fitting with a 28W 2D in it?
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Sounds ideal but is that easy job - doesn't flo tube need transformer and stuff???

actually scratch that - i just realised you mean compact flo bulb (about 11 watt) - i want 60 watt flo (equv 150/200 watt)
JethroUK wrote:

JethroUK wrote:

is a direct replacement for a filament lamp.
Bob
see www.aurora.eu.com/ProductPages/LampProductDetails.aspx?gb22&c=8&bQ&oc75. This type of fitting will be compatible with loft insulation and won't allow steam up into the loft space. Also look at the Click bathroom range.
AJ

OP said "not interested in spots" on the second line!

that's right, I'm not suggesting incandescent spotlights

In keeping with DIY, here's one I made earlier (two actually)...
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/lights/2D.jpg
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/lights/2D-2.jpg
This is made in a standard fitting available from Homebase (for around 20 IIRC). The BC lampholder is removed. Half of an aluminium project box (available from Maplin and the like) is used to mount the 2D lampholder and space it near the front of the glass. The project box is slightly offset from the centre to allow for a ballast to be fitted under it without blocking the mounting screwholes. However, the mounting hole for the 2D lampholder is positioned centrally in the fitting. In this case, a Philips Matchbox Blue instant start electronic ballast has been used (available from RS, and occationally on eBay). The opening in the glass shade will just about allow a 16W and 21W 2D lamp to pass through. (16W and 21W are same physical size, but 21W is harder to find - RS do them.) The 21W 2D tubes are going to be around 75W equivalent, but the opal glass diffuser isn't highly efficient, and the lamps are probably around 50W equivalent with the diffusers on. The diffusers are a large area, so the glare is relatively low for a directly visible light source.
These two have been in the bathroom for about 7 years now. Although I am using instant start ballasts which shorten lamp life, both are still on their original tubes, although tube ends are starting to look a bit darkened now.
These are wall mounted, but could be ceiling mounted. Note the mistake though - wall mounted 2D lamps should have the loops positioned at the top, not the bottom. I didn't know that when I made them (and I still don't know the reason).
Here's another one I made, which is used in another location.
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/lights/diy2 /
This one actually has a 10W 2D lamp in it, and I cut a mounting hole for the 2D socket on top of the ballast cover. It could easily have taken a larger 2D lamp, but that level of light isn't needed in the hallway where it's used. (Again, 10W 2D can be harder to find than the more common 16W.)
In both cases above, the diffuser is nicely evenly lit, which wasn't the case with the fitting when used with BC lamps as they were originally designed.
--
Andrew Gabriel