FAQ: Want to ask a DIY question? Here's how. (V.16)

X-No-Archive [Weekly posting - Archived once a month]
This is an introduction to the UK.D-I-Y newsgroup for new and experienced Do-It-Yourselfers in the United Kingdom. If you want help, or just want to find out more about a problem before calling in 'the professionals' you are welcome to 'pick our brains'.
There is a good chance your query, or a very similar one, has already been discussed and answered by the group, so please have a look at the Google uk.d-i-y archive, and our companion website for Frequently Asked Questions (the FAQ) before posting a question here.
The Google uk.d-i-y archive is available for searching at http://tinyurl.com/65kwq and the UK.D-I-Y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk /
The FAQ website gives background information about a diverse range of DIY topics, and guidance on formulating questions to post here that will most easily get the answers you need. For example, you should explain the background to the problem as well as asking your question.
The FAQ includes detailed information on common DIY problems in areas such as central heating, plumbing, electrical, decorating, security, plastering, and tools. It also has a reference section pointing to other useful sites and companies.
You should be aware that although replies in most cases are perfectly accurate and sensible, there are occasions when someone posts an inappropriate answer. In this case one of the regulars is very likely to post a correction, so it is always a good idea to check back later.
The FAQ makes clear that commercial advertising in the group is NOT welcome. Unsolicited advertising is considered abuse, and is likely to be reported as abuse to the advertiser's ISP. However, replies to specific questions which mention products sold by the person replying are acceptable. There is more information on commercial participation in the FAQ.
[...]
spam

spam
Heliotrope Smith wrote:

Fuckwit
MBQ
still spam

still spam
Heliotrope Smith wrote:

And you are still a fuckwit.
MBQ
still spam

still spam
Heliotrope Smith wrote:

I expected better from a long time posted to this group. Oh, sorry, you've only posted 3 times, each time repeating "spam". That counts as spam to me so FOAD, spammer.
MBQ
Heliotrope Smith wrote:

You have a valid point in complaining about this, but I do not think it's "spam".
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:58:56 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Chris Bacon

which is ....?

Phil Addison wrote:

We've been through this before. I'm referring to the FAQ trying to tell people how to use this group. It has no weight whatever from this point of view, and is frightful cheek to boot. Consider the "group within a group" scenario and the possibility of multiple FAQs to see what might be possible.

Crikey, you still wearing a chip on your shoulder over that?

We have multiple FAQ's. They work very well together.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

No chip on my shoulder. Not sure how one "wears" a chip on the shoulder, either.

I know, the factual ones are good. My FAQ welcomes commercial advertising, and deprecates long religious nutter threads etc, hope that's OK? If any commercial advertiser posts here, I'll send them a message of support, privately and to the group, in case anyone complains about them to their ISP - hope that's OK too?
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 12:28:48 +0100, in free.uk.diy.home Chris Bacon

Eh? where/what is your FAQ?
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:58:51 +0100, in free.uk.diy.home Chris Bacon

Chris, can you be more specific - I really don't know exactly what you want to see changed or deleted, and I'm not even sure what you mean by "the FAQ trying to tell people how to use this group".
As I have said many times before I am always amenable to suggestions for improving the DIY FAQ, including deletions. As you, being a long term participant, will know this is generally done by someone offering a revised text for group comment. If you can't actually provide revised wording for the bit that offends you, I may be able to produce something suitable if you can clearly let me know which bits you think are wrong and why.
This applies to the FAQ website text and also to the short regular posting to the DIY groups.