Draining & refilling central heating system

I am considering cleaning out my 8,5 year old heating system and refilling with corrosion inhibitor.

I've had a good look around the plumming and it appears to be a closed one, fired by a Potterton Suprima gas boiler. It is so closed that I'm unable to locate any drain or filling valves.

I also feel the circuit pressure may be low at 1bar.

So, I would greatly appreciate if anyone had advice on draining & filling of the system and the advised pumping pressure.

Many thanks, Brian

Reply to
bmcilvenna

Try looking near your ground floor radiators, there should be a valve to allow the system to be emtied, a small stubby pipe with a square head. If not the plumber was a cowboy!

If there isn't one, removing a valve from a radiator would allow the water to escape but I've no idea how you'd attache a pipe to drain it cleanly into a darain.

There should be some way of draining the boiler but this will only drain the system down to the boilers level so could leave it half full.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

In such a case close both valves to the radiator and remove the rad (catching the water in a litter tray or some such container). The connection of a hosepipe to the valve will then be 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch BSP or 15 mm compression depending on make of valve.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth