Damp Meter

My son is contemplationg buying his first house. Terraced, 1880, with cellar (formerly coal-hole) ventilated.

Not sure whether to have full survey, house was brought up to date about

5/10 years ago for letting.

Slight dampness in cellar, slight softness in internal beam (in cellar)

Thinking of hiring a Damp Meter to check extent of dampness, has anyone experience of these meters and how useful they are, what reliance can be placed on them, any links with web sites?

Regards

Colin

Reply to
cojack

Bearing in mind the size of the investment involved I would hire a professional to do the survey. The results will probably affect his decision and the price.

Cellars are often damp but the beam is worrying and probably indicated a potential structural prob.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

They don't indicate the source of the damp or cost of prevention or repairs. If it looks, smells and feels damp then it's damp.

"The cost of damp-proofing a cellar is astronomical, it is generally cheaper to move." Source:

A poke around with Google found these:

Limitations of moisture meters considered here:

These links might help:

Codswallop

Damp meters are usually toys to impress householder while trying to sell them building work. They can be effective if held in a professional hand using knowledge and experience. You have to pay for that.

Reply to
EricP

Agreed. I believe they are only intended for use on timber, but that doesn't stop the damp trade sticking the probes in plaster. You can use a test meter with a hi ohms scale and some sturdy pointed probes.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel