Cooker fan oven tripping all electrics

I have a problem where my cooker is tripping out all the electrics in the house when the oven is switched on. All the electrics tripped when i was using it last night after it had been on for about an hour. When i turned the cooker back on and turned on the oven everything tripped again. The other elements switch on ok and are not faulty or the cause as far as i can tell.
I have replaced the element in the main oven before. However, on that previous occasion after the initial trip when all the electrics went off, i could switch on the oven and the fan in the oven would work but i wouldn't get any heat (due to the element being blown). On this occasion i think it may be the fan blown because ANY power going to the oven is causing electrics to go.
Could this still be the element? Should i disconnect the element inside and turn the oven on to test it or could it be the fan motor causing the problem?
Thanks.

Yes, disconnect the element, put insulation tape over the leads and try the oven.
An element can burn out in a variety of different ways and could well be the problem.
--
Adam

Thanks. I will try that.

I have just removed the element and the oven fan worked. Looks like it's the element. Thanks.
I last replaced it just over 3 years ago. Does anybody know how long these things are supposed to last?

Yes. There are two main criteria for failure.
The first is that it must be out of warranty.
The second is that it must fail when you are having a dinner party.
Seriously, if you use the oven a lot and the replacement element is a copy not an original then 3 years is not a bad life expectancy.
I have heard it said that bad oven seals shorten the life of an element as it is has to work harder/longer to keep the oven hot.
Cheers
--
Adam

Silly question of me to ask really when i think of it. It's like asking how long a light bulb will last...