Cast iron drain pipe disaster

Page 2 of 2

writes:

Fascinating challenge - but beyond a certain point this could just be an indication that it would be easier to replace the pipe with plastic.
[Not even bunny]
7 submitted this idea :

I've never tried this. I'm making it up as I go along. Get two thin strips of metal, thin enough that they can easily fit side by side into the copper pipe. I’m guessing they should be about 11 mm wide and 8 mm thick. One of them should be cut short, like about 16 mm long. The short one will become a hook on both ends. One end with a point and the other with a sharp edge where it was cut off horizontally. The second strip should be long enough to be used as a handle to push the short one into the copper pipe and to pull the copper pipe out when the hook is set.
Drill a hole near each end of the short strip. One hole should be big enough to hold a bolt or a piece of thick wire, like baling wire. The hole on the other end of the short strip should be smaller, to accommodate a string or fishing line. Grind a shallow point on the end of the short strip nearest the small hole. On the long strip, drill a hole to hold the bolt which will connect the two strips.
Connect the strips together using baling wire or a nut and bolt. The bolt must be well shorter than the interior diameter of the copper pipe because it will be going into the copper pipe in a horizontal position. Make the bold as short as possible, barely leaving enough room for the nut. The nut must be left loose enough that the hook can rotate on the bolt freely. Glue the nut onto the bolt with Loctite or any other glue.
Run a long piece of string or fishing line through the small hole in the pointed end of the short strip. The string has to be loose and has to be long enough so that both ends run outside of the drain pipe when the hook is lowered into the copper pipe.
Pull the string ends so that the pointed end of the short strip furthest from the long strip is pointed upward as the assembly is lowered into the drain pipe. Hold the point upward as you lower the assembled strips into the copper pipe. Shove the assembly in well enough to be sure that the short strip is fully in the copper pipe. Pull out the string, releasing the short strip hook. The hook will fall against the inside surfaces of the copper pipe so that both ends touch the pipe with the pointed end a bit higher. When the string has been pulled out, jerk sharply upward on the long strip to set the hook. Don’t let up on the upward pressure or the hook will have to be re-set. Pull up on the long strip, pulling the copper pipe out.
If it doesn’t work the first time because it doesn’t grab, adjust the length of the short strip. Cut a bit off if it remained too vertical to jam into the sides of the pipe. Replace it with a slightly longer strip if the hook was set but the upward pressure forced the hook past the horizontal and it slipped out, non-pointed end first.
Let us know how it works.
McGyver
McGyver submitted this idea :

8 mm thick was an error. It should have said 3 mm thick.

Angle grinder! Cut a section of the waste pipe out, grab hold of the copper thingie and pull the bugger out. Fit a flexi waste coupling to replace the removed section, job's a good 'un.
"7" wrote:

A fascinating thread, Heath Robinson would have been proud. But it is now October 10th and no news regarding the current whereabouts of this copper pipe, the suspense is killing me.

It's only the 8th, show a bit of patience.
Steve
After all its probably been down there for some years.
Brian
--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
"shazzbat" wrote:

So it is, don't know how that happened, guess I'll have to wait till Wednesday if I can't get my Tardis to fire up.
On 08/10/2012 19:35, Rob Miller wrote:

US dates :)
"shazzbat" wrote:

Now it really is the 10th and still no news ;)
On 10/10/2012 20:12, Rob Miller wrote:

It's the 11th now. Perhaps he's stuck in the pipe?

I have to admit I'm looking forward to an update myself. Hope he's OK.
Steve
"Andy Champ" wrote:

Can someone take him a cup of tea?