Best way to deal with ants ?

Whats the best way to deal with ants in our garden ?.
We've tried the usual powdered products, but they keep coming back.
TIA
woodglass....

Why not tell the wasps that the ants are "moving in "............. ..............................................................................................I'll get my coat !
Barry>

............................................................................ ..................I'll
I don't think that wasps understand English - I've already askd them to leave ! :-))
woodglass....

Don't you know,
everyone understands English if you just shout loud enough
--
geoff

johnnybegood wrote:

Find the nest(s), dig it out (preferably whilst the b****rs are not active), and burn it in a bin.
That said, it's difficult to find the whole nest, dig the whole thing out, and make sure none of the critters escape burning.
Worked for me the one time I did it, and it was a "small" nest, approx .5 cu metres

Well I got rid of one which had created a dome in the lawn by pouring half a pint of cellulose thinners down one of the access holes and setting fire to it
Somehow it worked
--
geoff

johnnybegood wrote:

You need your Aunts. :-)

My Aunts what ????.

johnnybegood wrote:

It was plural, not possessive :-)
Dave

napalm the garden dig all the grass up then lay green concrete, the put your feet up with a nice chilled beer to admire the work you've done.

your
Have already drank all the beer thinking about what to do !!! :-)
johnnybegood wrote:

I have to ask first, why do you want to get rid of them.
My wife is always going on about the number of ants in our back garden. I look at the problem thus, as they do not bother me, I will not bother them.
However, if they are crawling all over you, the best thing that I have found on the market is 'Ant Bait'. Made by Nippon. The only problem with using it is that it must be kept dry. It comes in a plastic pack with holes for the ants to enter and take the bait. When they take it back to the nest, the nest gets killed.
I have successfully used it both at the school I work at and my home. Put the packs down and about 7 to 10 days later, no more ants.
So you could try using these ant bait packs, if you can keep them covered from the rain, but accessible to the ants. They last for about 3 months maximum.
HTH
Dave

I kill large swarms of ants on my patio with a blowtorch. They do seem to like living in small cracks in concrete, so fill those up.
Mr F.

Armillatox does the job.
Make hole in ants nest and insert a plastic funnel. Into this pour a 20:1 solution of armillatox and allow to soak into the nest.
It may well kill any surrounding grass but it'll soon grow back.
It's sold as a garden cleaner due to EU laws on garden chemicals..
sponix
Learn to love them - they may prove to be more loveable than many of your friends - and certainly more durable :-)