Automatic centre punch

Touch of optimism here, but does anyone know the size of the little steel ball in a M&W automatic centre punch Cat No 208, or where I might get one?

Desperation setting in, any advice appreciated.

Richard Tanner

Reply to
Richard Tanner

Ransome, Hoffman and Pollard (RHP) make ball bearings at Newark, so certainly make balls for them. Small quantity supply from them may be another issue. Balls are available as a separate item, we used to stock them at the company where I used to work (now defunct).

Local engineering suppliers are another possibility.

If you can't obtain balls then purchase of a complete bearing and disassembly is another possibility. I would imagine the ball in an auto centre punch is only tiny, so the bearing should be cheap. Difficulty will be in relating ball size within bearing to the size you require. Don't get rooked, typical discounts on bearing prices are around 65%, usually given to regular customers, but if you smile nicely................?

Do a Google search, there are lots of "perhaps's" there.

I know how you feel, losing an old friend for such a small item but, dare I suggest, a new punch may be as cheap and a lot less hassle?

Reply to
Burner

Touch of cussidness coming in here.

I have found possible sources for balls, it is the size that I need.

Richard Tanner

Reply to
Richard Tanner