Autocad plans?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
We have a project in school that needs planning permission. Simple structure, a canopy roof supported on posts with roller shutter doors as walls. We need to draw simple plans up to show existing elevations and proposed and it's fallen to me to follow this through using a 'no-cost' solution!!
So, I downloaded a 30 day copy of Autocad LT and a full copy of Google Sketch-up. However, it's feckin' years since I did any CAD, and am a tad lost .. the software has changed quite a bit (can't even remember what I used, I think it was EasyCad, a forerunner of Autocad) and my memory has lost any clues as to even where to start! ;) I've hand-sketched a layout that I want and dimensioned it, but the planning dept. want it properly formatted as a drawn (electronic, pdf or dwg etc) plan, to scale and properly annotated.
Any road up, does anyone know a decent primer website maybe, that can show me how to lay out a plan, side and front elevation of existing then proposed development? Any helpful comments or hints will be much appreciated .. ;)
Unfortunately due to me having a couple of weeks holiday and not knowing anything of this, I now have this weekend to draw the plans up, so it's now a matter of urgency!
--
Paul - xxx

A recent thread on the uk.d-i-y newsgroup recommended Drawsight as a (relatively) simple free CAD app see http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/free-cad-software /
Maybe worth a look.
Chris
Chris wrote:

A much more likely sauce^h^h^source (pardon, inconnu!) as this is The Shed, where we ll retire to scoff PPs and guzzle BAs and tear our cardies on that rusty nail over there, not a group dedicated to molishing said structures.
--
Old Nick

message
On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 03:26:15 +0100, BigWallop

We mostly goov about QVL, but lateron.
--
[dash dash space newline sig]

"Nuns! NUNS! Reverse! Reverse!"
Chris wrote:

Thanks. ;)
Eventually did it in Autocad, pretty simple when I actually got down to it!
--
Paul - xxx

On 19/08/2011 9:27 p.m., Paul - xxx wrote:

SketchUp may do what you want. Siemens SolidEdge (the free 2D version) should also do the wbo ok. The learning curve for both isn't too bad - my 16 year old lad took about 24 hours to start doing basic productive things in them.
EMB wrote:

Thanks, got it done in Autocad reasonably quickly as it's a pretty basic plan and building.
Like the look of Solidedge though, the Autocad 'license' runs out in a few weeks so I think I'll definitely try it out. ;)
--
Paul - xxx

On 20/08/2011 17:48, Paul - xxx wrote:

Next time be aware what you are doing when you x-post to Sheds. The shedi are an interesting bunch, but aren't actually much up on building regs and planning permission.
http://www.uk-rec-sheds.org.uk/ has the FAQ, of which a sample:
"The shed, with its contents and use, is a major archetype within the male psyche; the exigencies of modern life are, however, gradually eroding the typical male's knowledge of the joys of shedding. This may well be contributing to the breakdown of modern society that we see around us every day. Heretofore there has been no suitable forum on Usenet where shedders can gather to pursue the furtherance of shedding. This newsgroup provides such a place, and will hopefully attract many of the unshedded into the hobby."
Andy
Andy Champ wrote:

I don't think the O/P was actually asking about regs and permissions, just info on drawing plans, plenty of us have dabbled (some maybe more than that) with various CAD software ...

Lwking at said FAQ, and its associated list of birthdays, there are loads of people who are no longer enshedded.
The burpdays list wants updating TAAAW...
--
Frank Erskine

On 21 Aug,

Lurk..lurk....
--
Bran D [13435]
[13435]Change lycos to yahoo to reply.
Andy Champ wrote:

I wasn't after building regs and planning permission, just asking if anyone knew where I could get advice for using cad software from.
It's my view that the sheddi are a knowledgable bunch and would possibly have as much knowledge of good software as the diy group .. ;)
--
Paul - xxx

Paul - xxx said:

But maybe more of a tendency to say "what you want's the back of an envelope" ?
--
Richard Robinson
Richard Robinson wrote:

.. and a sharp intake of breath!
--
Paul - xxx

On 21/08/2011 22:31, Paul - xxx wrote:

Oh sure, the sheddi _are_ a knowledgeable bunch. But amid the useful advice is some more unusual stuff. Still, so long as you know what you're getting.
Happy burpday everyone.
Andy
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid says...

Handy Camp, Hand My Cap, or if you're Andrew... A Damp Wrench!

On 22/08/2011 20:33, Skipweasel wrote:

Weak Spiels there.
Andy
harry wrote:

Done that already so I know what I want, but as I said above, I have to send the plans in as a dwg or pdf.

Nope, I've done it on paper and it took about an hour including the actual measurements of the buildings .. perhaps you didn't bother to read where I said the planing office wants the plans in dwg or pdf format?

Actually I've done it now .. Autocad is pretty good when the basics are all you need.
--
Paul - xxx

On 8/20/2011 12:43 PM, Paul - xxx wrote:

a PDF file. Might have been faster than relearning a CAD program.