Autocad plans?

Hi,

We have a project in school that needs planning permission. Simple structure, a canopy roof supported on posts with roller shutter doors as walls. We need to draw simple plans up to show existing elevations and proposed and it's fallen to me to follow this through using a 'no-cost' solution!!

So, I downloaded a 30 day copy of Autocad LT and a full copy of Google Sketch-up. However, it's feckin' years since I did any CAD, and am a tad lost .. the software has changed quite a bit (can't even remember what I used, I think it was EasyCad, a forerunner of Autocad) and my memory has lost any clues as to even where to start! ;) I've hand-sketched a layout that I want and dimensioned it, but the planning dept. want it properly formatted as a drawn (electronic, pdf or dwg etc) plan, to scale and properly annotated.

Any road up, does anyone know a decent primer website maybe, that can show me how to lay out a plan, side and front elevation of existing then proposed development? Any helpful comments or hints will be much appreciated .. ;)

Unfortunately due to me having a couple of weeks holiday and not knowing anything of this, I now have this weekend to draw the plans up, so it's now a matter of urgency!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

A recent thread on the uk.d-i-y newsgroup recommended Drawsight as a (relatively) simple free CAD app see

Maybe worth a look.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

A much more likely sauce^h^h^source (pardon, inconnu!) as this is The Shed, where we ll retire to scoff PPs and guzzle BAs and tear our cardies on that rusty nail over there, not a group dedicated to molishing said structures.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

What?

BigWallop

SketchUp may do what you want. Siemens SolidEdge (the free 2D version) should also do the wbo ok. The learning curve for both isn't too bad - my 16 year old lad took about 24 hours to start doing basic productive things in them.

Reply to
EMB

We mostly goov about QVL, but lateron.

Reply to
Esra Sdrawkcab

Done that already so I know what I want, but as I said above, I have to send the plans in as a dwg or pdf.

Nope, I've done it on paper and it took about an hour including the actual measurements of the buildings .. perhaps you didn't bother to read where I said the planing office wants the plans in dwg or pdf format?

Actually I've done it now .. Autocad is pretty good when the basics are all you need.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Thanks. ;)

Eventually did it in Autocad, pretty simple when I actually got down to it!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Thanks, got it done in Autocad reasonably quickly as it's a pretty basic plan and building.

Like the look of Solidedge though, the Autocad 'license' runs out in a few weeks so I think I'll definitely try it out. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

After you had the pen and paper copy could have scanned that straight to a PDF file. Might have been faster than relearning a CAD program.

Reply to
Roger

I don't have a scanner, and needed it done quite quickly.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Draw it, scan it, pdf-it.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Next time be aware what you are doing when you x-post to Sheds. The shedi are an interesting bunch, but aren't actually much up on building regs and planning permission.

has the FAQ, of which a sample:

"The shed, with its contents and use, is a major archetype within the male psyche; the exigencies of modern life are, however, gradually eroding the typical male's knowledge of the joys of shedding. This may well be contributing to the breakdown of modern society that we see around us every day. Heretofore there has been no suitable forum on Usenet where shedders can gather to pursue the furtherance of shedding. This newsgroup provides such a place, and will hopefully attract many of the unshedded into the hobby."

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I don't think the O/P was actually asking about regs and permissions, just info on drawing plans, plenty of us have dabbled (some maybe more than that) with various CAD software ...

Reply to
Redrawn Buns

Lwking at said FAQ, and its associated list of birthdays, there are loads of people who are no longer enshedded.

The burpdays list wants updating TAAAW...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I wasn't after building regs and planning permission, just asking if anyone knew where I could get advice for using cad software from.

It's my view that the sheddi are a knowledgable bunch and would possibly have as much knowledge of good software as the diy group .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

But maybe more of a tendency to say "what you want's the back of an envelope" ?

Reply to
Richard Robinson

.. and a sharp intake of breath!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Lurk..lurk....

Min'e a day out. Can't reely have my baff a day rneyl!

Reply to
<me9

Oh sure, the sheddi _are_ a knowledgeable bunch. But amid the useful advice is some more unusual stuff. Still, so long as you know what you're getting.

Happy burpday everyone.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ