Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Flexible or angled caulk cartridge nozzle
One of these would have been quite handy today, but all I can find is the patents (there are several registered in the US) and US products. Anyone know any UK supplier? If not, looks like I'll need to...
12
12

2x6mm T&E instead of 1x10mm T&E for shower - ok?
Would this pass 7th ed regs?
7
7

Honda GCV 520 engine - mixture adjustment
Hi, My lawnmower has a Honda GCV 520 engine fitted and I find it is running too rich and 'hunting'. Nowhere have I found how to adjust the mixture - any pointers where to look would be greatly...
1
1

concrete slab
We are ready to pour concrete into a 54"x30" form; our son dug down about 10" instead of 6". Here's a stupid question - is it okay to fill in the extra 4" with dirt and tamp it, or will doing so cause...
1
1

Using drain cleaner/acid in a sink
I've got some high-strength sulphuric acid that's sold as draincleaner, is it safe to put down a semi-blocked porcelain sink that has a plastic waste-pipe? What's the procedure for doing this? I am...
2
2

Stainless steel soil pipe
Please does anyone have experience of stainless steel soil pipe? I would like to use this for an upstairs toilet, from the pan, through the wall, to the tee piece on the outside, which would be normal...
3
3

What boiler requires min water pressure?
During the last winter my private water supply froze and destroyed the pump which pumps up water from a source below our house but I could still at least operate my central heating system as the...
17
17

TV wall bracket hanging
I am trying to find a way of hanging my flat screen to a wall which is constructed by a plasterboard on to solid wall. Trouble is, it's not nailed on to a batten but I think it's dabbed on. There is a...
16
16

Washing machine waste into soil pipe.
Friends of mine wants to move their washing machine from the kitchen to a small utility room at the rear of the house and have asked me to help them plumb it in. They were under the impression that...
21
21

joist insulation
Hi, anyone recommend suitable sound insulation to go in Ist floor 6inch joist void - kitchen below, w/proof plasterboard onto bottom of joists and w/resist chipfloorboarding on top. Bathroom above so...
6
6

Wrong decking stain applied but how can I remedy?
I bought some Cuprinol One Coat Timbercare for my fencing which I painted. Then, without reading the tin, I applied to the decking floor. Then I read the tin and realised it was the wrong product. I...
1
1

How to stop me slipping on my decking??
Just bought a new house and the old owners nailed some chicken wire to the section walked on to get to our back door. I wonder if there is a better looking solution to prevent slipping? It is just a...
5
5

Sticking Karndean flooring over thermoplastic tiles
Just about to tile our kitchen with Karndean flooring. The existing flooring is thermoplastic tiles (previously covered with cusionfloor) stuck to the concrete floor using some sort of bitumen...
2
2

Cental heating cover
What is the best central heating cover. I am disabled and heating is essential. I have just got my yearly bill from British Gas and it costs me £ 202.36. Its a homecare 200 and it covers me for...
6
6

Rough idea of cost to have outdoor tap fitted?
We need a tap fitted at the back of the house, typically all the water is at the front... so it'll need to be connected in the loft, run about 20ft across the loft and then dropped down the wall...
9
9