wood versus cement weight capabilities

Curiosity mainly. Consider a 6"x6"x10' post made of douglas fir and the same dimensions in cement. Will the cement version hold more structural weight than the wood post? Can someone advise me just how much weight the cement post would hold?
On 5/16/2011 1:42 AM, richard wrote:

Depends on the loading and the actual construction; concrete is good in compression but not so much in tension. Not enough information to make a good answer.
You need to calculate via an engineer. Steel size and placement and concrete mix is an important factor in determining strength. The proper amount of water also determines the concrete strength. Size/shape of unit will determine strength with the other factors in the mix. john

To oversimplify to a point pretty much totally devoid of meaning... DF roughly 625 PSI Concrete roughly 3000 PSI
Be aware those numbers are for all intents and purposes useless to someone without knowledge of a whole host of other factors. They are not comparable and they represent almost nothing by themselves.
On 5/16/2011 1:42 AM, richard wrote:

well first off we need to know vertical or horizontal. Then i'm sure there's many other variables after that.
--
Steve Barker

The OP says the word post three times. Pretty safe to say it's vertical. ;) But your main point is right - there's not enough information for a meaningful response.
On 5/18/2011 2:15 PM, RicodJour wrote: ...

On such are very faulty decisions often made, too... :(
I'd want to know specifically what the connection(s) and loads are before even _considering_ touching the question.
On 5/18/2011 2:15 PM, RicodJour wrote:

Good point and i'm sure you're right. But just because you buy a "post" doesn't mean you're gonna stand it on end. <G>
--
Steve Barker

Ha! An even better point and one I had not considered. Good on you!
How does that old saying go...? Never underestimate someone's ability to fuck something up? My cousin just sent me a link to a rural property he's thinking of buying. Someone had roughly stacked some concrete block as a sort of low retaining wall along the driveway....and some of the blocks were on their sides so you could see dirt through the cavities. Yeah, that must do a bang up job of holding back that dirt! ;)
On 5/19/2011 12:37 AM, RicodJour wrote:

good for drainage though.
--
Steve Barker