What is the layout order of starting three tab shingles rows?

Page 2 of 2

GAF says:
"DO NOT lay shingles straight up the roof since this procedure can cause an incorrect color blend on the roof and may damage the shingles."
http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/20222.pdf

That's the way I've always done them. Does anyone know why Owens Corning insists on NOT using this method with their Berkshire shingles?
Mike
Mike Hammer wrote:

I would guess it has something to do with the pattern of the shingles, but I've not seen Berkshire shingles up close so that is only a guess.
Matt

So, you think it has something to do with the cosmetic appearance of the shingles rather than it's intended purpose, which is to keep water from leaking through them?
Mike
Mike Hammer wrote:

That is my best guess. It would be interesting to see the reason from O-C though.
Matt
Mike Hammer wrote:

I don't know, but if I was installing these shingles I'd follow the directions given. Shingles I've installed in the past recommended having the edges staggered diagonally up the roof. I can't for the life of me see how this is easier when you have to leave out the fastener on the end and then interleave every other shingle on the next column. I'd rather work horizontally and diagonally where I can fully nail every shingle as I go and just lay them down and not have to pick up the loose end of another shingle to slip a shingle underneath it.
Matt

Matt, I'm not sure how else to say this. In my younger days, I did some roofs your way. Run em' accross and diagonally up. Then one day I did a roof with someone who showed my how to run em up the roof. It was like a revelation. This was obviously much faster, even if you have to pick up the corner of every other shingle. Never went back to the old way. Way outweighs the time it takes to scamper back and forth. Every single roofer I know runs em straight up the roof.
marson wrote:

I don't doubt that. The roofers I know and the ones that installed my roof didn't do that. I also know a lot of plumbers who will notch 3" out of the bottom of the center third of a floor joist as well. That doesn't make it right.
Matt
Marson , your talking to a fucking idiot, let it go !!!
Kickstart
Dave wrote:

I've never seen a roofer do that, but then I tend to hire good roofers, not fast roofers. You get what you pay for...
Matt
to do with one individual laying shingles on his own roof.

Wow !! Don't get out much huh ?
kickstart
Kickstart wrote:

Apparently not in shabby roofer land. Let me guess, you live in FL or TX, right?
Matt

Where do you live Matt? I've never seen a roofer, high end or low end, do anything but run 'em straight up either, and I live in northern Minnesota, where construction prices are through the roof, so to speak.
marson wrote:

Northcentral PA.
Matt

Florida , where roofers have to roof. Shingles last 10-15 years And have to keep lots of rain out. We have roofers from all over come to Florida to show us how "they" do it. I make a good living fixing their leaks. Glad your too smart to be here
kickstart- the shabby roofer