roofing question

I am replacing a cedar shingle roof with a composition roof. The cedar shingles are nailed to battens. I will need to have a plywood deck in order to put composition shingles down.
The contractor's I am talking to feel the easiest way would be to put the plywood down over the exisitng battens. 1/2 " cdx over 7/8 " x 1 3/4 in battens. The battens are 5 1/2 center to center.
I assume that they would nail the cdx into the 2 x 6 rafters which are 16 " oc. and not the battens, but I am not sure about that. They would use longer nails to make up the greater depth.
Is there a structural strength issue with this approach? Or would it be better to remove the battens which would be an additional cost.
The net increase depth over existing structure would be handled with drip edging on the rake and eves.
Thanks in advance, Ron
Add pictures here
✖
Most would go over the battens if they were in good shape. Yes, it is best to use a longer nail and grab the rafter. Also the battens can be re-naild or re-screwed. This is common practice. those who have time and money could remove the battens if so be it. Mostly just for a cleaner neater job. Flip a coin........ jloomis

Add pictures here
✖

They should be removed.Decking over the battens could cause your roof to have a wavy look.Also the space between the decking and battens could become home to rodents and bugs. Hope that helps.
MountainFramer Roll Tide.
--
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit,
you\'ll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
On Apr 29, 2:01 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Structural issue? How's the structure now with the skip sheathed roof? You're adding to that, not weakening it.
There's no compelling reason to do it one way versus the other.
✖

I'd take metal over composition any day. But it WILL change the look.
Add pictures here
✖