Question on construction

I have seen a few posts on chimneys recently in this group.
What is the general rule on chimneys in terms of height ?
How much higher than the roof do they have to be ? Can they be in line with the roof ?
Is there a law on this ? especially in N. California ?
Thanks Jessica

Depends on the roof and the chimney use.

CA has some pretty unrealistic laws, but you should check with the local building codes and the manufacturer of whatever it is you are connecting a chimney to.
--
hawgeye

The general rule is 2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet of the chimney: http://www.usinspect.com/car/0104TechJargChimneyHeight.asp

Most likely it will be specified in your local building code.
--
Dennis

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Generally speaking, if you have a peaked roof the chimney should be at least twenty four inches higher than anything within ten feet lateraly. If you have a flat roof it should be three feet higher than the roof or anything within ten feet.
On 19 Jan 2007 15:06:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

They must be higher than you.

Oh real high.

You don't want one out of line, that's for sure.

Cali? Hell forget it.

I always heard the, three foot ten foot rule. No matter flat or not. Three feet above anything within 10 feet.
--
please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

Two feet above any point of the roof within ten feet of the chimney, but no less than 3 feet above the roof where the chimney meets the roof.
Diagram can be seen here: http://www.fireplacesnow.com/smchinfo.asp