Need a California Contractor to tell me if this is right

Talked to a guy the other day that was telling me that his wife and him were trying to get a bank loan to build a house. The bank told him if he was a California lic. contractor, didn't matter what kind, they would give him the loan. Now this guy can't hammer a nail into a soft board and plans to build his home overseeing the whole operation of building the house. The license he going for has nothing to do with woodworking at all. I was wondering is this something they allow. To me this is saying a Licensed Mechanic could oversee the building of a house.

Reply to
bdeditch

Well...

the bank can do whatever they want...

Afterall, they have the money!

Reply to
PeterD

Yes but could he over see the project of building a house. He even admits he never did cement work and plans on doing it himself and just "asking around" how to do it. I built homes years ago in Canada and I would not even deal with it.

Reply to
bdeditch

I don't know specific CA law, but all states have "homeowner exemption" clauses that provide that an individual can serve as their own GC under certain conditions.

I'm certain if you googled the CA state web site you would have no problem discovering what their particular version's requirements look like. Of course, individual localities may have their own restrictions/requirements on top of state law.

It's surprising how many who have no clue think it would be simple to do this -- almost uniformly, the live to regret it unless they really do have some knowledge.

Reply to
dpb

I understand, but you are asking two different things...

  1. The bank's attitude: it is up to them.

  1. The ability of this person to actually build a servicable building...

In question 1, as I said, it is the bank's shot to call, each may have very different rules.

In question 2, that is what building codes and building inspectors are all about.

You ask "could he oversee" and I'm translating that as can he be the general contractor. That is, he subcontracts the jobs to other (qualified) contractors. Sure, if he's a smart person, can get good sub-contractors, keeps his Ts crossed, his Is dotted.

Would I do that if I were him? No friggin way! I'm qualified, and it is a major bit of work to get two, three or four sub-contractors all workign together on teh same schedule, doing acceptable work!

As to his never having done cement work, and now wishes to do it himself, well maybe he can... Again, I'm experienced... Guess what? I hire someone to do that type of work, it takes practice and experience to get it right, believe me.

So now I have to ask: what's your interest in this project anyway? Why not sit back and watch the show so to speak?

Reply to
PeterD

I plan on sitting back and watching. The thing is I have seen some of his work in respects to building, mechanical, and ,God forbid, electrical work. He thinks you can square cement forms by using a laser level ( This one I have to see). I have tried to explain to him that he is going to have all of this work inspected, and if does the electrical work himself he will try to cut some corners and ending up having to rip all of it out and start over. I am sure that who ever they get their house insurance from will need to know who has done a lot of the work on different projects. He figures since he can put in a light switch he is qualified to wire a home.

Reply to
bdeditch

BD:

If your wonderment is why the bank gave him the loan, my guess would be the usual one: he has collateral, favorable credit record or a co-signer. If your subject had none of those but the lender invested with him because of faith in his ability, then it will end real tough for the bank should results agree with your opinion.

But, if the house proposed is his property, then he is a qualified owner-builder in California. That status doesn't require any contractor's license but it does involve having the funds to buy an insurance policy or set aside a sequestered account of a specified valuation to cover specified liabilities.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

That *would* be quite some laser level, wouldn't it! I'm sure what he is confused about is leveling the forms (which you can do with a laser transit) and squaring the forms which is not going to work that way...

Wiring a house is not that difficult... Properly wireing a house is! The building inspector will catch that one very fast.

Want some fun with him? Ask him how he's goign to wire in his AFCIs, and which outlets will be protected...

If he's as bad as you are saying, then he'll not have a clue what an AFCI is, or where it is required by code.

Reply to
PeterD

Reply to
jloomis

Well as far as the bank thing goes they are going with someone that "Bad Credit" is something they will work with. And yes the house is on their property. The only thing that worries me is that its my step daughter that he is married to, and she can be very gullible when it comes to things like this.

Reply to
bdeditch

. The only thing that worries me is that its my step

I see your concern Butt like in every case Education cost$ I see an education in his future

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

As a father, I can tell you that there comes a time when you cannot continue to 'protect' your children, and they will have to learn from their mistakes. That's harsh, but the truth: you won't be around to protect her forever.

My guess is that he'll not get very far at all, then realize iti is much more work than he expected.

And now I have to run, I need to check on my sub-contractor who is filling a trench... Sub-contractors are a lot of work, to be honest about it...

Reply to
PeterD

No I understand that part about letting go. We both, Wife & I, tried to tell them not to buy this lot, or more like a ski slope. They paid full price and believe when I say that about the only thing that would look good on it is a snow making machine. She then got plans for a house from OR. from some on line designer. When she showed them to me I told her they will not pass here in CA. Way to many windows in the front of house and it was going to facing the West. She told me" Its my house and I will build how I want, I don't care what the county says". Well once they took the plans to the County, first thing they said was, you guessed it,(1) to many windows in the front, (2) you have to change the plans to meet Californias specs.(This was about about a $1200 bill) The problem is my step daughter is a stay at home Mother, and watches to many programs about flipping homes. She thinks that it will only cost them about $150,000.00 to build a 2800 sq.ft house, completely finished including all appliances and furniture. I told her she better do some re-adding. She wants me to build the kitchen part and by looking at the amount of Cabinets and what she wants it will more than likely be for the kitchen alone about $25,000 to $35,000. I know she living a pipe dream, but its not the first time and also not the first their bubble has been busted over some big ideas they had and they fell thru.

Sorry to vent , but its frustrating to see how some people think that "no one can tell me what to do, laws or no laws".when it comes to building codes. I also look at the fact that this codes are put in to protect people and to save big insurance claims and headaches.

Reply to
bdeditch

You seem to know the score... Personally I think you have done all you can.

FWIW, a 2800 ft unfinished garage would probably cost more than wha they want to spend. Hell, I just spent about $60K on an 1800 ft garage, and that didn't include much of the labor! (but it is rather nice now that it is done.)

Good luck!

Reply to
PeterD