loft conversion

can someone help with this,I would like to make my loft a more useable space ie ,board it out, better insulation,lighting,ect....at what stage does this become a loft conversion reqireing planning,regs ect,ect .please help ........ David...
In a previous post digitall wrote...

For an extensive remodel, it requires planning etc BEFORE you drive a single nail or put in a single screw.
Generally, if you are going to make any structural revisions, then a permit is required. Every jurisdiction varies in its rules. Check with the local building or planning official.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

Am I the only one who doesn't know what a loft board is?

Well it ain't in the dictionary, but I'm thinking he means panelling.