How to insure subs clean up after themselves

Ths questions is for the Contractors out there. Besides withholding money until they do clean up, what methods do you use to make sure that subs clean up after themselves?

Reply to
adamtanderson

that money seems to work, why try anything else?

Reply to
longshot

That is a difficult one to deal with. One thing that I do is inform them right up front that they are to clean up after themselves EVERY TIME THEY FINISH. By this I mean when the electricians come in and do their rough in, when they finish the rough in, they are to clean up their mess. So if it takes them 3 days to rough in, on the third day they clean up. I also inform them of the rates that I charge for cleaning up after them if they fail to do it themselves. Some of them opt to let me do the clean up. (25.00 an hour for as long as it takes).

If a sub leaves their crap after they leave, they get one phone call informing them that they have left a mess and it will be cleaned up the following morning and backcharged to them unless they send someone out to do it.

Since I usually have a laborer on site, it is easy to keep it clean.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Paid a contractor with shady and shoddy reputation (per many local realtors opinion, not mine) to build my home. Having that heads up as hindsight, I supervised the cleanup myself. I was present daily during the entire building scenario, building my standalone garage. The framer sub was the worst of the bunch of subs in regards to maintaining remnants in the dumpster. The contractors rep met me, and he "helped" the framer sub attend to cleanup. Oddly, and with high suspicions on my part, the framer sub was also present at the final cleanup with the contractors rep. If it smells like roses, it probably is roses. Pay attention. Contractor only wants your money. The contractor's employees and subs only want the contractor's monies. Cleanup responsibilities and where and who provides means of where to dump the refuse is in the contract. Mileage varies with regular cleanup, and final cleanup is done properly.

A good sub framer will police the area prior to the end of the day. His framers will "clean as you go", if they want to go home on time. To a less extent, the same with the rest of the subs.

Reply to
Jonny

Bet your a lotta fun to work for

David

Reply to
David_In_Devon

Most of my subs think so! Since they are all used to this, it is not an issue.

Reply to
Robert Allison