Fiberglass bathtub Installation

Hi Group,
We just had a plumber install a fiberglass tub for us. Since he was by himself, I was helping out with the installation. While we were removing the old tub, there was a 2 by 4 support going across. He said that support is not needed for fiberglass since he was going to screw it to the wall; so he removed it. He said they never put support when he installs fiberglass. Is this a common practice? From all the how-to articles I've read, they all say you need the support.
Thanks, Wes
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Well, you can always check the manufacturers recommendation, try their website. I have installed a few, the ones I used did not need wall support. They just get screwed through the mounting flange into the studs, and a layer of mortar underneath for floor suppor is optional, but I always do it. -- Dennis

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for a quick replay.
In the installation guide it does show you need stringers (it 's American Standard mode 1713). I've paid the guy in full, and I don't think he's coming back to fix it. I was curious if there is a danger if we let it be the way it is or if I should get somebody else to fix it.
wes
I Strongly agree with the mortar or at least dump a bucket of drywall compound under the tub for support.
It is such an easy step and it is almost never done because the plumber or remodeler dosent want to take the time to do the job the way they would do it for their own home.
Without it you get a serious amount of friction on the seal not to mention the noise and posibility of caulk or tile failure if it is a half tub with tile surround.
Its like what 10 minutes labor and $20 materials
"DT"