Emergency Generator

Page 2 of 2

If the CB on the gen panel is a double throw one, that means it can select to feed the kitchen from the mains OR the gen, that doesn't mean it hasn't a magnetic and thermal trip, that's why its tripping. If its of insifficient rating, eg your kitchen needs 25 A, but it's only 15 A, then you may change it with a larger one, but remember, that a CB protects the cable downstream, that means CB are matched to the cable they are connected to. If the cable is too thin for the thermal trip of the CB, then the breaker may not trip, but the cable will melt! Eg here in Europe, a 16 A CB is used with a 2.5 mm^2 cable (#16 AWG). If you use a 20 A CB for your convenience (to avoid continuous tripping) and the cable draws 20 continously, it will melt! In that case, first you upgrade the cable to a thicker one, and then the CB to a larger one.
HTH,
--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

I suspect your dealing with the type of transfer panel that diverts the loads one at a time. Each load to be carried by the generator passes through the transfer panel and is protected by a second breaker installed in the transfer panel at all times. The transfer panel breakers are often sized lower in ampacity than the circuits original breaker. If there is no twenty ampere breaker available in the emergency panel that can be swapped with the fifteen ampere breaker now on that circuit then you may need to install a different transfer arrangement. I have always found those one circuit at a time transfer switch setups to be trouble breeders.
Since that type of transfer arrangement is manual I would substitute the whole panel interlocked breaker arrangement that is now available for most recent panels from the original equipment manufacturers. Those are much simpler to operate and take much better advantage of the load diversity in the homes wiring. They also allow you to operate any load that the generator can carry instead of limiting you to only particular circuits. -- Tom Horne

YOU THINK YOU ARE FUNNY TOM HORNE YOU SHOULD THANK YOUR LUCKY STAR TONIGHT
BUT YOUR ERROR IS STILL UPON YOU
I AM PROTEUS
On 7/16/2010 11:25 AM, Tom Horne wrote:

It has the automatic transfer switch. I just was of the impression the generator panel only came into effect during emergency operation. Guess it is always in use. Hence the 15A breaker tripping under street power.