Drilling Small Holes in Granite

After reading about granite being a tough stone to drill, I need some advice.
I've dug a 36" deep hole and dropped in an 8" x 8" x 72" granite mailbox post. I want to install two wrought iron brackets on one smooth side to support the mailbox.
Each brackets has four (4) holes on the vertical arm to be used to screw the bracket to a willing material. I want to drill holes in the granite post to hold each bracket. I plan on applied Gorilla Glue to the back of the bracket to make sure the bracket stays attached to the granite post.
QUESTION: what type of power drill and drill bit must I use to drill small 3/32" to 1/8" diameter holes (about 3/4" deep) in the granite post?
TIA for your tips, suggestions, comments,
Manjo
Hammer drill with compatible bit.
: After reading about granite being a tough stone to drill, I need some : advice. : : I've dug a 36" deep hole and dropped in an 8" x 8" x 72" granite : mailbox post. I want to install two wrought iron brackets on one : smooth side to support the mailbox. : : Each brackets has four (4) holes on the vertical arm to be used to : screw the bracket to a willing material. I want to drill holes in the : granite post to hold each bracket. I plan on applied Gorilla Glue to : the back of the bracket to make sure the bracket stays attached to the : granite post. : : QUESTION: what type of power drill and drill bit must I use to drill : small 3/32" to 1/8" diameter holes (about 3/4" deep) in the granite : post? : : TIA for your tips, suggestions, comments, : : Manjo :
Thanks Deputy. Any sugggestions on type and/or brand of drill?
BEst regards,
Manjo
Deputy Dumbya Dawg wrote:

As you probably won't be drilling a lot of holes in granite beyond these, I recommend that you rent a hammer drill for a day.
Harbor freight has a hammer drill for $13.00 on sale now and then---$29 normally. The appropriate "hammer drill bit" will cost almost as much. It works fine for an occasional hole. If you want to do this for a living get the Milwaukee hammer drill for 10 times that amount. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberE338
For real holes like boarding through the footings to set anchors etc, get a rotary hammer. Harbor freight has a nice one on sale for 40-60 now and then regular $90. I got the SDS rotary hammer and the 12" bit set for <$75, what it would cost to rent such from home depot, drilled 21 1/2" dia 4" deep holes and now I own the thing. I used it in hammer ( think jack hammer) mode to trim off some spill over concrete that was in the way too. Goes into 25 year old concrete like it is wood. If you are a termite guy and will be drilling a hundred holes a day five days a week get the Milwaukee version for $500.
My project required me to do the holes a few a day over a week so I would have spent much more renting than buying the inexpensive "throw away" tool...... and I still have it http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberA983
No I do not work for harbor freight but they have a store about 5 miles from my house in Atlanta.
Peace Dawg
message wrote: : : > Thanks Deputy. Any sugggestions on type and/or brand of drill? : > : > BEst regards, : > : > Manjo : : As you probably won't be drilling a lot of holes in granite beyond : these, I recommend that you rent a hammer drill for a day.
Dawg,
I like and have a number of Harbor Freight tools. I'll look for the hammer drill. I have only 8-16 approx 1/8" holes big enough for plastic anchors. That should hold the brackets until the gorillar glue dries.
Appreciate the info,
Manjo
Deputy Dumbya Dawg wrote:

ramset will do the job.

Jerry,
RAMSET sells a lot of stuff. Are you talking about their drills and/or adhesives?
Thanks,
Manjo
jerry dion wrote:

I would drill a 1/4" hole and use a plastic (or other material) anchor.
Not being a glutton for punishment, I would probably find another outlet for my artistic talent than a mail box post. <G>

Glenn,
I'll use plastic anchors.
And I'll look for a hammer drill. When I'm done with the granite, I can use it for my real passion: delcate clock repair :>))
HAppy Holidays,
Manjo
Glenn wrote:

I would use a ceramic tile bit. I think if you use a hammer drill, you will have some left over granite... chunks.
--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
Andy Asberry wrote:

I'll give it a try tomorrow with my drill, but I have a feelilng the granite is an order or two of magnitude harder than what a tile bit can handle.
Best of the Season and Happy New Year,
Manjo
: I'll give it a try tomorrow with my drill, but I have a feelilng the : granite is an order or two of magnitude harder than what a tile bit can : handle.
It is fun to watch the hammer drill pound a tile bit into a little mushroom headed metal mass. It only takes a minute with the hammer going.
Happy Holidays.
dawg: