Counter-tops: What's next after granite?

About a year and a half ago we remodeled our kitchen. After much shopping and comparison we went with a product called Silestone. It is a composite of crushed quartz and epoxy, polished and shaped. It was quite a bit cheaper than granite and does not need to be sealed to prevent staining. In the time we have used it, we have NO scratches visible. It is available in many patterns and colors, with or without integral sink.

We have had Silestone (an almost white pattern with little specks, very nice on the eyes) now for some 8 years. Almost immediately there was a small spot that chipped out (about 1 square inch). It was somewhat clumsily repaired. Since we know where it is, it is visble to us, but others will not see it unless we point it out. The surface was made in 2 parts, and the seam has become a little more visible than I would have liked to. There have been no scratches on it, despite my better half using the counter as a cutting board. We have a sink that's fitted underneath. The only thing that's leaked is the Moen single handle faucet, and that was replaced for $65 total.
I would buy the same setup again if it were indicated, but would spend the extra bucks to make it in a single piece (about 1/4 of the total surface is an inch or so greater in depth, and that would have cost considerably more if made in 1 piece - in hindsight I should have done that).
--
Best regards
Han

I'm not into trends, I'm into what I like. What I like right now is Formica with ceramic tile edging and backsplash. I've had Corian along with a seamless Corian kitchen sink and basically I thought it was just plain boring. Granite has recently been suspected of causing some kind of health problems so I suspect it is in demise. Stainless steel seems like it is good for people who like to spend the whole day in the kitchen polishing their appliances and countertops and wish they lived in a science lab. This might explain why some people have coffee makers that look like they were designed by Nicola Tesla.

Or Stovetops.
What have you heard about the health effects of granite?
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Probably radon, which you may or may not get from a specific piece of granite.
Wouldn't think you would get much from the limited volume in a kitchen but I haven't seen details.
m...

Formica
This
Or Stovetops.
What have you heard about the health effects of granite?
I don't remember exactly but I think it had to do with some kind of toxic residue from the surface of the countertops.

Granite emits radon gas. Some foods most notably buttered toast absorb this gas readily. Tests have shown that a 175 pound adult, who eats 1200 pcs. of toast every week for 900 years, can absorb enough radon to cause seizures. The fear is that in a seizure, it would be possible to rip the granite top right off your base cabinets, and drop it on your foot. Multiple broken toes could easily be the result.

toxic
Well then, they should have a warning sticker on the coutertops saying not to exceed 1100 pcs. of toast per week. Or put it on a plate.

It's a long hard run keeping up with the Jones's

In-home food preparation will soon be a thing of the past. Once ObamaCare figures out how much sloppy hygene in residential kitchens is costing they will place a complete ban on amateur food prep. You won't need a countertop since you'll be purchasing pre-prepared food from a government operated (or licensed) establishment.
So forget those countertops and reallocate the space for something more useful.

You really should seek professional help for your paranoia.

woosh, goes the sarcasm plane overhead.

It wasn't sarcasm. It was genuine insanity. Only rightwinger nutcases refer to the proposed legislation as "ObamaCare".

And we've no shortages of those in here. Every thread on every topic is fair game for slurs on Obama. Seems a tad ironic after eight years of the worst president in U.S. history.
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:24:09 -0700, Smitty Two

What's sad is that Obama is setting up to break Bush's record, in record time. His approval rating is dropping like the proverbial rock. Oh, and yes, there's nothing wrong with telling things like they are. At least until the Obama "Take over the Internet" bill passes into law, and then it jail for anyone who says anything about Obama that is even slightly critical.

Well, at least it's just paranoia. At least I don't, in actual fact, have a vast right wing conspiracy coming after me.
I'd rather be in my shoes!
On Aug 28, 7:47pm, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

That's nothing. You should see the vast left-wing conspirators after everything. OMG what a crowd...