Circular Blade for Cutting Both Wood and Metal

I have some 2'x4' panels I am using for a kitchen remodel. The panels are particle board wrapped and glued with thin gauge stainless steel sheet. I would like to cut them down on a table saw, but I'm not sure what type of blade if any would work. I have already cut a few using an air disc grinder for the steel and then finished cutting the wood with the table saw but the steel cuts are not suitable for finish work.

Thanks a for any advice,

JB

Reply to
Junior

How thin is the stainless? That is very important.

We cut aluminum (up to almost 1/2" thick) with standard carbide tiped blades. (I'm talking a lot of it, production lines). I'd certainly try to cut your stuff with a carbide blade (realize the blade won't last forever doing this.).

On a standard table saw, put the stainless side up so the teeth hit it first. Work slowly, watch for heat buildup (smell, smoke) and wear hearing, face, and eye protection. Bits of (probably hot) metal hitting you in the face will be painful, in the eyes blinding!

We use a lubricant cutting aluminum, I'm not sure you can do that with particle board however.

Reply to
PeterD

Don't the teeth always hit whatever is being cut first? Please clarify.

RicodJour

Huh? Try to visualize: you want the teeth to hit the stainless, then the wood under the stainless. Turn it over, and the teeth will pull the stainless away from the particle board, and leave a very ragged cut, too.

Reply to
PeterD