Ceramic tile over linoleum?

You need a strong inflexible base under tile that is probably not currently the case under this linoleum. Also the adhesive grout used will probably not stick to the linoleum well.

If its a high quality home, I would pull the linoleum and then beef up the sub floor or supports as necessary, lay cement board over an adhesive grout spread. screw that solidly to the sub floor, then lay the tile over that with adhesive cement spread underneath... if you do it right it will be a joy forever and enhance both you and the house.

if you slop something over the top of the linoleum you will not be proud if it, it well never be quite right, the grout joints will probably crack etc... while I was at it, Id use first rate materials..spend a little extra and create something hot.

A few jobs like thatin a run of the mill house can upgrade the whole house..one crappy job and the entire house takes on the character of junk.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

Sure it canbe done, but I would not recommend it. The base needs to be stable and the ceramic will be at the mercy of the stability of the linoleum and it's bond. Ceramic tile is best laid over concrete or a concrete backer board so that the thinset gets maximum adhesion over a stable surface.

Reply to
Jim Phelps

Yes! While I personally would rather pull up the linoleum however I did go over linoleum for freind of mine (his insistance). Its been 2 years now and no cracked tiles or loose grout. Maybe we got lucky? We did nail the hell out of the old linoleum first....perhaps this helped. Do what ya gotta do! :^)

Reply to
Don

You should lay cement backer board on top of the floor first.

Reply to
AutoTracer

it would be easier to install but you are risking cracking.

you could use 1/4 inch cement board as an underlayment screwed down on top of the linoleum if you cant get it up easy but this will change the transition height between the rooms

if you just need something fast I would use sheet goods.

bob marencin

<moo