Building steps

Page 2 of 3

rusts...........
I'm late to the party but if they are really concerned about corrosion in the rebar maybe they should look into getting some of the (fairly) new stuff called MMFX rebar. It is five times as corrosion-resistant and up to three times as strong as conventional steel. He could use less steel and it would last longer than just about any other comparable product. Ameristeel is advertising a product called "Z-Bar" that is better (per their claim, not mine) than just plain epoxy coated bars, but I have not been involved with any project that used this material, so I can't say anything one way or the other about it.

Whats the green rebar I saw a while back, was it a coating?

Yep. It's an epoxy coating. It's used in construction where the rebar will be subjected to harsh conditions and rusting is an issue.

The main culprits in attacking the rebar, salt and water, don't have nearly as much effect on concrete. Protecting the concrete would require protecting large areas, and periodic reapplication of whatever it was you were using to protect it. The epoxy coated rebar has a much smaller area (in general) and it's a one shot deal.
Your bones are encased in meat, but you can still break your bones even through the meat. That's why Wolverine has an admantium skeleton - I'm amazed I have to tell you this!!!! ;)

My son has been a Logan fan since day 1 and has 100 copies of Wolverine#1 in Wizard archival bags with boards. (I only have 1 copy) Just yesterday he emailed me a picture of a razor he purchased - Wolverine version, Gillette brand, for keeping nice crisp corners on those 50's style sideburns Logan sports that the ladies find so appealing.

I have a comic collection from my ute. It was interesting to see the spike in the value of X-Men comics about 12 years ago. It was less interesting to discover that somewhere along the line a few hundred comics of mine went missing.
RicodJour wrote:

I know guys who's mother/sister/wife/insane female human threw away the guy's comic book collection when he was away at work/war/contract job overseas. The guy comes home and finds his stuff gone and the insane female human is so puzzled by the often violent reaction. Guys have to hide their stuff in a locked warehouse or safety deposit box.
TDD

I've have (6) 1/2 boxes of bagged and boarded comics, mainly #1 issues, sitting out in the garage I'd like to get rid of but a cursory review of the market shows they are worth next to nothing. Maybe they'll burn well. And I have thousands of comic cards, complete sets with chase cards, in archival sheets and binders too. I sure wasted alot of $$$ in my later ute.

What were you reading/collecting that #1 issues are almost worthless? I just read what I liked. I actually had a non-lending comic book library in college to help support my habit. Collected dues and a had a punch card catalog system and everything. Some of them are worth a fair amount. I was a little brought down when I started looking into the values that the ones that disappeared had most of the value. And also disappointed to see that what should be the most valuable comic I have in the collection is missing it's cover and worth a tiny fraction of an intact comic. No surprise there, still disappointing.

BRB, I gotta go shred some foil......
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I think that is the epoxy (or some sort of plastic) coated stuff. As they lay it out, somebody has to go spot-treat all the spots where they weld it or cut it, lest that provide an entry point for water to get under the protective layer. The spot repairs I see are red, probably to make it quick to check and see that none got missed. A color like green would also make any damaged rusty spots jump out at you.
The green stuff is all I ever see anymore used on bridge or parking garage work around here in salt country. Even see it used on vertical work, like for exposed concrete on buildings.
-- aem sends...

Yes, it is epoxy coated rebar, Out in the west they also have an epoxy coating that is purple. They have different properties in the coating and are used in different applications.
The "Z" bar I mentioned above is in a Yellow coating.
I "heard" (so it may/may not be true) that a job one time was supposed to use epoxy coated rebar, but the shop sent black (that is the term we use for uncoated plain old rebar)) bar instead. The contractor didn't want to wait for it to be refabbed, so he told the guys to go to paint store, get a can of green paint, bring it back and coat the bars with that instead...

A contractor cutting corners to save time? No way! That's prepostorous!

I'd like to see that, as I've never seen one bent-and then break because of it. It would have had to have been bent back and forth quite a bit to have stressed to the breaking point.
I installed 64 HU28's and 8 HU28-2's yesterday and the only thing that broke was the skin on the middle finger of my left hand as it crushed between the edge of an HU28 and a 28oz Estwing waffle face. It made for a really nifty red splash pattern on the ledger board.
(6) 16d's per hanger - do the math x 28oz.....yes my arm is warped this morning........

I have seen fiberglass rebar mentioned. Does it have any disadvantages over steel rebar?
-- Ron
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:35:45 -0700 (PDT), Ron Peterson

Fiberglass re-bar? Or Fiberglass mesh/screen?
Ron Peterson wrote:

???? They likely meant glass fiber additive, as a replacement for rebar, not actual rebar made of fiberglass. Used mainly in light slabs like patios, garages, and warm-climate driveways. I suppose it reduces prep labor, but I'm old fashioned and not sure I'd trust it as a replacement for 4" fabric.
-- aem sends...

The Stone Slab Floor Setters union thought the same thing when that new-fangled fake stone - concrete - was introduced. ;)
http://www.fiberglassrebar.com
RicodJour wrote:

Learn something every day on here- I did not know that they were making that now. (I may have grown up in the business, but I haven't actually been in it for several years.) Thanks for the link.
-- aem sends...
On Mon, 18 May 2009 19:26:12 -0700 (PDT), Pat

No friggin' way. That simply means that virtually any cement highway in NY, NJ, or MI is suspect! They are all full of holes!
(I remember reading a few months ago about the city of NY digging up a location and finding a bunch of bodies: a mafia graveyard, apparently, with little hope of ever identifying those burried in the hole!)
Regardless we all know Jimmy Hoffa is alive and well, living with Elvis in North Dakota.