Breaker panel, code for height from floor

Awl --
I know that the NEC code (and NYC code) specifies that a "standard" wall outlet can't be below X inches above the floor -- 4" (at one time), iirc.
Is there a similar code for breaker panels? And is there a *maximum* height above the floor, as well? Curious as to what the various codes are in various locales, esp. in NYC/Westchester.
--
EA

Heh, google is yer friend. "height for breaker panels" returned a surprising number of forums addressing this very question, which I hadn't expected.
Apparently the general answser is, No minimum height, but a 6'7" max height to the top breaker, which, if higher, must have a permanent step, etc. to reach it. Sorta surprising, no min. height (unless in a mobile home, then it's 24").
Also inneresting is that NYC has greatly relaxed its code, by adopting the much more lenient NEC. For example, at one time, the max #12 wires in 1" emt was 8 or 9 in the 70s, now it's almost 20, iirc. Big effing diff.
--
EA

> --

I recently installed an auxillary electrical panel, and the city inspector here in Denver said that there was no minimum height, just that the bottom of the panel couldn't be above 6' tall.

Never realized there was a minimum height for outlets. I've seen them on the baseboard in relatively new homes, and of course there are floor mounted models, which I assume require the special outlet for protection.

I just happened to ask my own personal NEC code guru this very question. :)
the answer
no minimum height, max is 6' 6"
with a 30" x 30" x 6' 6" volume clear (no fixed objects) in front the panel. Panel doesn;t have to be centered in space; can be high / low or left / right within access.
But I'd sure hate to work on a panel that was much lower than 24". :(
cheers Bob

Hmmm, the 06 IRC and the 05 NEC seem to be in agreement according to my stuff, and they're a bit different from what your guru told you. The maximum height of the breaker is 6' 7" and the minimum height of the working space is 6' 6" x 30" wide by 36" deep.

Looks like I need a new guru (or one with a better memory).....
Now I know who to ask for answers to my electrical questions. :)
cheers Bob

Errrr, I wouldn't let the guru go just yet. He was close enough for spit, and I have to look stuff up to verify. I remembered the 6' 6" working space, but when someone posted the 6' 7" breaker height, that seemed odd so I had to look it up. I wonder why they wouldn't just make both requirements the same number? Needless fussing for an inch. An inch hardly matters...most of the time!

I'm the guilty party. :-)
In both cases the 2008 NEC says 2 meters. So this is just an example of standardizing on metric and and two different code writing committees using different rounding practices. In both cases the rounding practice is to minimize the restriction.
Cheers, Wayne

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying that, Wayne.

I was just kidding and attempting to protect the identity of my electrical guru..... who has since self confessed.
The info was more than "close enough" for me. I assume the intent is to provide a "man sized" volume from which to address the panel and to have the volume deep enough such that the worker isnt jammed up against the panel...ie arm's length plus some play.
Since the code now says 2 meters that would be 78 3/4" (78.740") or 6' 6 3/4"
...btw what is the tolerance on that 2 meter dimension? :) +/- .1 meter? .01 meter? .001 meter?
cheers Bob

That makes sense and explains why the "man-sized" volume has gone up in width from 30" to 36". I thought the plumbers were the fat ones (and before any plumbers take umbrage - you know you're fat so stop being so defensive). I guess the electricians are catching up. If this trend continues they're going to have to widen doorways!
replying to DD_BobK, rey wrote: is that no minimum height code apply to all states including hawaii?