Attaching light fixure to a mirror?

I have a 7 ft x 4 ft mirror in my bathroom we want to replace the light fixtures on. Currently it has the Rectangular 4 bulb fixture that is easily glued on using silicone sealant and double sided tape.
We want to replace it with the round base unit that is designed to mount directly to the wall box. Unfortunately the holes cut in the mirror over the electrical boxes is just large enough to get the wires through. There is no way we can screw the fixture to the electrical box. Pulling the mirror off and having the holes cut bigger is very expensive (3 quotes over $300 so far). Replacing the mirror is out of the question (the wife like sit too much)
I have found a 4" round electrical cover, kinda cone shaped I could mount on the mirror that would be perfect, except I can't figure out how to glue it to the mirror and make it stick. I tried Liquid nails Mirror adhesive and let it sit for 4 days, but I was able to pull it off with very little effort.
Any suggestions for a better method? I though of going straight to heavy duty liquid glue or gorilla glue, but thought I better solicit suggestions first
[...]
Any suggestions for a better method? I thought of going straight to heavy duty liquid nails or gorilla glue, but thought I better solicit ideas first.
Bruce wrote:

There are drill bits designed for glass. I would practice with them on a piece of scrap glass until you are comfortable and reasonably accurate so that you don't destroy the mirror. Then determine where the screw holes are needed and drill away.
Carolyn
--
Carolyn Marenger

Did you clean the glass?
Yes. With a razor, followed by windex, followed by (per mfr's reccomendations) isopropyl acohol. The problem was not cleanliness, just that the light fixture pulled the material apart. The "adhesive" stays flexible and gummy, like plumbers putty but much tackier. Place any type of levering force (like a 4 bulb, 2 pound fancy light fixture) and it just slowly peeled apart, leaving residue on the mirror and the mounting plate.

Shoule anyone be interested, I eventually solved it by using Loctitie rear view mirror adhesive.