Air Compressor Question

I'm looking for an air compressor for occasional, not-in-a-hurry heavy duty work. The biggest air users I'll need to run are an angle grinder and small air hammer, and these not too often. Otherwise, it'll mostly be filling tires, running a few Halloween props, blowing dust and water off various dusty and wet things, and whatever else my evil mind can cook up. If I have to wait now and then for the compressor to catch up, that's not a huge problem.

I don't much mind if it's not portable, but it would be a nice bonus. I've got a 230v 50 amp circuit going to the garage, along with 110v, but I don't really want to max that out.

Oh, and I want it to last for a good long time, even if it sits idle for a few months at a time. The only thing completely unacceptable to me is going to use it, and it doesn't work.

I don't want to spend much over $400, and I don't mind used gear.

I'd be highly grateful to anybody who can shed some light on these mysterious machines. I've already been burned by big-box stores selling garbage equipment, and I haven't heard much either way on brands such as Kobalt or Husky. I've heard nasty thing about Craftsman and CH (which I believe also makes Husky).

Thank you for any help you kind folks can offer.

CS

Reply to
CS

You are in two different worlds.

Each tool has an SCFM requirement at a specific operating pressure. That requirement creates the demand for whatever compressor output that will be needed.

An angle grinder and an air hammer use lots of air. one at 8 and one at 11 at 90 PSI to run efficiently. Whenever they give a range on a tool, always use the hightest number.

Personal and professional opinions: Avoid oiless compressors with a vengeance. Stick to pistons in cast iron or screw (very expensive).

Good names: ( In order, but certainly not exhaustive) Quincy Ingersoll Rand Emglow (now DeWalt, I think) SpeedAire Carlson Systems If you can buy at Graingers, their Westward (Taiwan) things are not bad.

You won't be buying new for $400. Buy a cheap electric grinder. Forget the air chisel. Buy a pancake Porter Cable oiless and run it till it dies.

Don't hesitate to get Campbell Hausfield, DeVilbiss, Craftsman for what it sounds like you intend to do. The older, the better. The cast iron pumps are too similar to make huge distinctions. Horsepower claims make no difference. 1 1/2 HP (real) is about all you can run on 110V.

A vertical unit takes less space, but is less portable.

Reply to
DanG

on 7/12/2007 7:23 PM CS said the following:

Campbell Hausfeld sells a number of reconditioned compressors at good prices.

willshak