Rain Collection

When a water butt is slimey inside what is the best way to go about cleaning it out? This year it is very green inside instead of a good flow from the outlet I am getting a tiny drip. I fear it is smelling slightly putrid too. TIA
On Mon 27 Jun 2005 11:28:12a, Mrs Bonk wrote in alt.home.cleaning:

Bleach, a bit of detergent, a good scrubbing, and a thorough rinse.
--
Wayne Boatwright տլ
Mrs Bonk wrote:

Sounds as if TomKan's daughter poured chicken fat on your shingles.
Hi Mrs. B.
Sounds like you don't have a lid on it! Nitrates and Phosphates, etc. are elevated also.
Bleach will kill the natural forming bacteria that you do want to keep in the barrel. But at this point, perhaps a good cleaning is in order and then letting the good bacteria reform in the barrel once again.
While you have it empty to clean it, perhaps you may want to build a fire in it to char the insides somewhat. This sometimes helps to keep the water clearer during the hot summer months. And keep it covered so that sunlight does not get inside as well.
TTUL Gary