Lists, books that list chemical additives

Hi,
I would like to find somewhere a reference for people who want to understand what all the artificial and chemical additives are - not only by name (and code number if applicable) but also its purpose and its possible side-effects (for example, if used too much or in the wrong way) - and also whether it must not be used in certain situations.
You would think that in this day and age, with so many chemical companies adding things to our home cleaners and, especially, our personal products (toiletries, cosmetics, paper products etc) that there would be *some* encyclopedic reference somewhere!
Anyone heard of such a thing?
Thanks,
avril
My favorites are
NOISH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards U.S Department of Health and Human Services, published by CDC (Centers of Disease Control)
For more specifics about chemicals and their properties I prefer The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, published by The Chemical Rubber Company This book contains a wealth of information and some unusual non-food recipes.

Phisherman, did you mean NIOSH? :-) Excellent recommendation!
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Michael When I die, I want to go where dogs go!
Sorry about the transposed letters. Yes, the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). This document is in the public domain and can be freely copied or printed as desired.
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:14:51 -0400, Michael A. Ball

I have meant to get back to thank you. Am late, but I'm sure I will find your references very helpful.
Again, thank you very much,
avril

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:43:54 +1000, "av"

How bout the MSDS aka Material Safety Data Sheets. My understanding is every store is required by law to carry these MSDS for each item they sell with chemicals in it. But I bet if you ask for it, maybe only the store manager will know what you are talking about.
Thank you for you help. I will look it up. avril
<jim> wrote in message wrote:

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:19:26 -0500, jim wrote:

I don't believe MSDS will come close to providing the details the OP wants, but here are three sites that explain how to interpret MSDS, and one MSDS data base site.
http://www.howe.k12.ok.us/~jimaskew/msds/msdsinfo.htm
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~mcnemar/msds.pdf
http://www.lehigh.edu/~kaf3/guides/msds.html
http://www.msdssearch.com/DBLinksN.htm