Lists, books that list chemical additives

Hi,

I would like to find somewhere a reference for people who want to understand what all the artificial and chemical additives are - not only by name (and code number if applicable) but also its purpose and its possible side-effects (for example, if used too much or in the wrong way) - and also whether it must not be used in certain situations.

You would think that in this day and age, with so many chemical companies adding things to our home cleaners and, especially, our personal products (toiletries, cosmetics, paper products etc) that there would be *some* encyclopedic reference somewhere!

Anyone heard of such a thing?

Thanks,

avril

Reply to
av

My favorites are

NOISH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards U.S Department of Health and Human Services, published by CDC (Centers of Disease Control)

For more specifics about chemicals and their properties I prefer The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, published by The Chemical Rubber Company This book contains a wealth of information and some unusual non-food recipes.

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman, did you mean NIOSH? :-) Excellent recommendation!

Michael When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

Reply to
Phisherman

I have meant to get back to thank you. Am late, but I'm sure I will find your references very helpful.

Again, thank you very much,

avril

Institute of

the

Reply to
av

How bout the MSDS aka Material Safety Data Sheets. My understanding is every store is required by law to carry these MSDS for each item they sell with chemicals in it. But I bet if you ask for it, maybe only the store manager will know what you are talking about.

Reply to
jim

Thank you for you help. I will look it up. avril

are -

too

used

understanding

item

maybe

Reply to
av

I don't believe MSDS will come close to providing the details the OP wants, but here are three sites that explain how to interpret MSDS, and one MSDS data base site.

Michael

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

Reply to
Michael A. Ball