Looking for online architecture

I recently purchased a foreclosure in California. The house needs a lot of work.

I am looking for an online service where I could submit some photos or an idea and have in return a drawing or a set of plans.

For example, I would like to construct a full porch in front of the house, but I really have no talent or vision to make it work.

If folks have any recommendations or ideas I would appreciate it.

Regs

-Tiz

Reply to
Tiz

...and will charge him for it. The online guy's are cheap for a reason.

RicodJour

Apologies folks.

This is the wrong newsgroup for this type of query.

Moving on... thanks for your time.

Regs

-Tiz

Reply to
Tiz

Check local sources. Codes and building techniques vary. If you need plans, you will probably need building department, and possibly zoning board approval. You will probably need drawings that are signed by a licensed architect/designer/engineer. If you buy cheapy stuff on the internet, you will still have to get the drawings sealed and the local guys will _hammer_ you for being dumb. That's how it works.

RicodJour

There are always exceptions. I've done plans for folks in various states and the projects were successful. Piss poor designers aren't isolated to the interwebz.

Reply to
creative1986

I wasn't addressing the competence of the out of state person. I was commenting on the 'trying to save money and shooting yourself in the foot' scenario.

There are no exceptions for state licensing requirements. If the state/city/town building department requires sealed drawings from someone licensed in-state, then that's the only thing they will accept.

Most engineers and architects are not willing to sign off on someone else's plans due to the liability issues, and those that do will not seal and stamp out of state drawings on the cheap.

And what about revisions? Even if the out of state designer will do revisions for free, the in-state guy will be paying to have them sealed and signed - again. There may be a couple of revisions required - or more.

You know that thing about the free lunch? Well, this is one of those situations.

RicodJour

Agreed. Look at the number of times comments in this forum include " I can't see it from here." T

Reply to
tbasc

Suppose there is no local talent? Hard to believe? I used to think that way, then I moved to a place where it was true. I didn't know such a thing existed but here I am right in the middle of it, and no doubt there are many other such places. So, whats your 2nd choice?

The funny thing about things iz, the more you do them the better you get. I'm about 95% complete with my current remodeling project and each of the previous 4 were learning experiences as has been this current one, thus, my 5th is better than the previous ones.

When you've designed several thousand remodeling projects of just about everything you can imagine and have taught others to do the same you gain an insight on what needs to be done.

Digital pictures, video, the internet and email combined with precise communication has almost erased the necessity for in-person conference regarding residential architectural design, at least in my experience. I've designed an estimated $20mil worth of projects in the past 3 years and have not seen any of them or the owners or contractors in person.

Reply to
creative1986

You can't *see* what you are not looking at. Imagination, determination, attitude and drive, with those things all things are possible. Oh yeah, a little bit of coin is nice to fuel the fire of desire........

Reply to
creative1986