KunstlerCast: Len Krier

Page 1 of 2
http://kunstlercast.com/shows/kunstlercast-207-leon-krier-cnu-20.html
Hey. Where exactly are you living now? You're in eastern Canada, right?
On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:38:07 PM UTC-3, RicodJour wrote:

Hi Rico. Yes, east coast, Nova Scotia, temporarily in Liverpool-- almost a non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very nice and quiet too. What a difference from the city. I might have mentioned hoping to settle in Shelburne, just south of here. It's a lovely little town and suits me fine. If all goes well, I'll be there again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few other things... like trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pegs among the mosquitoes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;) (I've been nowhere near a tall ship before, so it's kind of exciting.)
Incidentally, I recently downloaded SketchUp Pro and found a very nice shipping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are probably a little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at the moment. In any case, I've given Sketchup and the container a spin and have both on hand.
Apparently you wanted to move somewhere yourself if recalled?
On Jun 21, 2:44pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

6 years hence, the biggest thing I've noticed is what you are able to accomplish when the burden of what other people call *society* is cast aside. There really is a Matrix and it is very deceptive and costly, and I'm not speaking of dollars and cents though that is costly as well. Mainly, I am speaking of the only life you will ever own, and squandering it on someone else's version of how you should live it.
Our green bean vines are about 20" high right now and the tomato plants are about 5' tall. All the other things are progressing nicely too. Rain has been sparse so I have been lugging (2) 5 gallon buckets of water from Muff's pond across the road each evening. The vegetable garden is small but efficient and though the cost was high at first, over the long view it is insignificant. We expect to pull $400 (retail value) worth of food out of this little 10'x10' project and we expect to expand it and make it more efficient next year. I think of it as a big 8th grade science project with potential benefits as well as a hobby.
On Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:15:09 AM UTC-3, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Good to hear and my best regards with that. Let us know how it goes. Speaking of whom, it's probably a little like the settings of Kunstler's book, 'World Made by Hand'. (which I've not read)
On Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:15:09 AM UTC-3, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Good to hear and my best regards with that. Let us know how it goes. Speaking of whom, it's probably a little like the settings of Kunstler's book, 'World Made by Hand'. (which I've not read)
On Jul 1, 7:06pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

I try to make it a point to read Kunstlers blog every Mon when he updates, or Tues at the latest - he's quite the cunning linguist. Funny to see him evolve, finally. The things I told him 10 years ago are starting to make sense. There may be a place for him after all in the new world made by hand. :-) (but he might have to lay the pencil down and learn which end of shovel gets the most work done)
On Monday, July 2, 2012 12:23:10 AM UTC-3, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ah cool. I prefer him in audio format :) (and wish he could recite/record his blog entries) so listen to his podcast. Last fall, around November-- a couple of months after my own small-town move-- he moved to Greenwich Village apparently. I just listened to Lifeboat Hour where he was interviewed. He mentions his garden I think, so presumably, there's a shovel involved. ;)
On Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:15:09 AM UTC-3, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Nice... Retail value appears to be going down and prices up ay? Perennials may be the way to go for the most part. How about rainwater-collection and cisterns? And beekeeping? Do you have a well? And selling your honey's and jams at the local market? I'm looking at some of that.
Incidentally, I just picked up a mobile keyboard controller and downloaded some music software and am about to get back into electronic music composition after a 20+-year hiatus. Who knows, I might ask you to send me some guitar/riff/chord samples by email to incorporate.
Rico, if you catch this, Dmitry Orlov, of some culturally-relevant book-writing fame, lives on a boat in Boston(?) and seems to be interested in old-style, small-scale trade by sailboat, and I might like to join him down the line. Perhaps boats, along with costs, could be shared. In any case, turning an old, generally-unuseable/unrepairable boat of a select kind upside-down might make for a great little cabin with cathedral roof/ceiling/loft-space.

Make your own yogurt in a yurt, Yoda! May The Culture be with you. ;)

Go retro electronic - get or better yet build a theremin, the original electronic instrument. Predates the electric guitar by a couple or three decades. Theremin concerts were held in Carnegie Hall in the 30's. And every single person knows exactly what they sound like, though very few know the instrument itself. Brian Wilson, he of The Beach Boys fame, used it to great effect in Good Vibrations, which not coincidentally is exactly what music and specifically the theremin is all about.

That sounds very interesting. Let's talk about it.
On Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:14:56 AM UTC-3, RicodJour wrote:

Wow, ya... nice...
Hey, where's your "~" thing, by the way, in your smilie? Like this: ;)~

True. And there may be good software emulators too: http://www.thereminworld.com/software These days, everything seems to be modeled.

Sure.
On Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:15:09 AM UTC-3, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sure. Agent Smith, to me, represents the FBI, etc.; The Matrix is like Plato's Cave. In our case; the corporate oligarchy.
"Waking up" inside a prison-system that we've been born into seems almost an act of chance if no one is talking about it, if no one is calling us and offering a red pill. And even then, there are no guarantees everyone with want it in favour of the blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvXbuSEl2-s

On Jun 21, 2:44pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Regarding the finding of property pegs. Get an accurate survey. Use google earth to grab a shot of the property. If the property is on a paved road many times there is a rusty steel pin in the center of the road at the property corners. Import the google earth shot into autocad and using the dimensions on the survey draw the property lines right on the image. Print the dwg out, grab a 100' tape measure and go find them.
On Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:19:01 AM UTC-3, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks, Don, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.
On Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:19:01 AM UTC-3, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks, Don, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very nice and quiet too. What a difference from the city.

again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few other things... like trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pegs among the mosquitoes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;)

shipping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are probably a little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at the moment.

A metal detector works well. Ken
On Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:13:38 PM UTC-3, Ken S. Tucker wrote:

I thought about that and thanks, but there are some complications with it it seems.
On Jun 21, 2:44pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Tall ships are cool.
The reason I was asking about where you were in Canada is that I'm planning a New England trip and wanted to see how far it was to where you are. Answer - far! Doubtful that I'll be able to get up to NS. Are there any ferries from Maine to NS?

Please post a link to that container model. SketchUp is fun, isn't it? I recently upgraded and I have yet to see how the newer version of Layout works, but it's gotta be an improvement of the the one from SU v6.

I've taken the show on the road. I think I mentioned it a while back - maybe not - but I bought a classic 1977 GMC motorhome and I'm a pelegrino/stranieri/gypsy. Currently I'm out on the east end of Long Island, NY to take a look at a friend's beachfront property. I'm consulting to see if I can fix what the idjit artichoke he hired spewed out. Truly a laughable design with huge amounts of wasted space and expensive-for-no-reason/benefit construction.

I've been working off of some famous artichoke plans that indicate the doers need to be banned, on some very expensive gov't buildings. Frankly, I am shocked at what is getting built these days. And, I had no idea things had gotten as bad as they had in this regard in the past 30 years since I worked with the big guys. A friend coined the term *hot potato* the other day regarding how responsibility is passed back and forth among the participants with everybody trying to avoid a lawsuit and still manage to make some money. Appalling.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

check out a story about re-furbishing Washington's Monument...
http://news.yahoo.com/washington-monument-repairs-require-huge-scaffold-185823952.html ;_ylt=ApOOt6imQ8hpWu_O3Ohr.6es0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQzZXE0amtmBG1pdANQbGFjZWhvbGRlciBUcmF2ZWwEcGtnAzkxYTgzMWZkLWEyNjAtMzUwMy1hMjIxLWE5OGNmNTZmYmNlNQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFTZWN0aW9uTGlzdAR2ZXIDMDZmYThmMDEtY2E5NC0xMWUxLWIwZmItZWRiYjI5M2RkMGQy;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3
700,000/yr visitors for 8 puny windows! Tear down the old thing down, sell pieces as souvenirs (or the whole thing), and build something with class, like more than 8 windows! The CN tower went up el cheapo, but it's really nice, a good rotating restaurant, the US needs 'New AND Improved', kick them yanks into hi gear. Ken