Architecture

Pierre Levesque wrote:

My take is that I like the plane because it actually flew.
wrote: [ ... ]

THat's a good question.... Isn't one man's "outdated" another man's "piece of history", or "classic design"...?
I hear that on those HDTV shows, "outdated" - soemtimes the stuff was ugly even back when tio was done, other times it is obviously of a given stylistic period but remains valid in terms of aesthetics/design.
Horizontals are currently "outdated", but that doesn't mean that nobody should or deos use tham any more.
IOW, to what extent does "outdated" *merely* mean "not currently fashionable"...?
Also, why is FLW "outdated", bot not farmhouse style, or French Provincial, or Victorian, or any number of other styles...?
Nto trying to be snotty - I'm merely curious.

Inspiring and thought-provoking. WHich is what makes them art.
A concrete box can work fine as a warehouse, esp. with climate control, and other engineering/technological advances to mak eit sturdy and adaptable and so on. IOW< even a concrete box can be a really "nifty- keen" ;) bit of engineering. But it isn't art.
I think that so many of FLW's works endure because they have a strong artistic element.
Like 'em or hate 'em, they did introduce new ideas, now ways to think about things, into the architecture of the times.

Add me to that list........ ;)
[ ... ]

I used to pass that one fairly frequently, back when I lived near Milwaukee. I shoudl have goen in, dunno why I didn't. But it was quite nice from the outside.
What I liked was that it carroied over so much of what onethinks of as being Greek in terms of colors and materials, and also echoes teh Orthodox style.

In oneof the tv specials I'd seen, people said they loved working there, in spiteof the leakes, because ti was so bright, and such a visually- beautiful place.

THat's where I went to an Anti-Terrorism conference back around '89 or so. From the direction of the attendees' approach, you didn't really see the roof like that - it barely looked like one was actually approaching a big buuilding; what we saw was very low to the ground, almost bunmker- like. We ent tthrough alow tunnel-like entryway. I was thinking something like, "What the vbloody hell...?!?!?!"....
...and then you BURST into this huge, golden space rich with woods and textures...
Oh my...
I also loved the Guggenheim - it wa slike entering a column or wave of light. I had little interest in most of the art - I'm not "into" Modernism, for the most part. I just kept looking at the space. I was only, jeezz, maybe 13 or 14... It was one of the pivotal expereinces in my life, for several reasons.

Exactly! THere are many people who tend to latch onto things or people, and then allow their adoration to blind them to any and all faults. Groupies, followers.
But then there are some people who like something because they see merit in it, and/or because this or that work resonates with them.