Architects should be trained in data management

I run a 3D visualisation company, I have also 10 years as an architectural technician. I got into using Autocad and computers about

15 years ago. One thing that strikes me as lacking in every architect I have ever met is there lack of understanding regarding how to look after information. The architect is employed by the client to get a building built. This role requires a substantial ability to organise and look after the information that needs to be issued and received and re-destributed to the various organisations usually involved in constructing a building.
From my experience what tends to happen is that the architect will

spend so much time changing and fiddling with the design, that very little time is given over to actually creating a full set of coherent working information. At no time will the architect say to themselves that they have finished fiddling with the design and its time to update and synchronise all the data for the project. When it comes to actually constructing the project there are so many conflicting bits of information that the architect can't remember which actual bits of information are the right version. This causes delays and problems on site while design isses are re-resolved.This is why I think most construction projects run over cost and over budjet. There have also been some project where parts of the building have been built before the drawings have been issued. I believe that most architects are only interested in designing buildings rather than dealing with all the boring aspects of getting the building built. As more and more documents and data are required to construct a building I beleive that a new role for someone who cares for and manages the quality of the data the building is going to be built from will come in to being.

Reply to
blackpikex

You've never actually been an architect? You've never had a client say "um...can you get me two different options by 9:00 AM tomorrow morning?"

It's about priorities...

The architect is employed by the client to get a

Fees are being squeezed... You gotta have time to get all that stuff organized...

Not only that, but the current state of software lends itself to disorganization.

It happens... you try and keep 12 different projects in your mind at the same time...

This causes delays

This is NOT why most projects are over budget...it contributes but in my experience it is not the primary reason.

I believe that most architects

This is the result of schools not training architects to be architects, but training them to be "designers."

As more and more

As soon as a client as willing to pay their salary, they'll come along...

Reply to
3D Peruna

And psychology and city planning and traffic routing and police work and forensic engineering and rocket science and painting and drawing and sculpture and underwater basket weaving and expository writing and database administration and baby delivering and invasion planning...

From my experience what tends to happen is that the architect spends very little time considering and developing a design and then a TREMENDOUS (yes, in caps) amount of time seeing to it that it gets built.

A new role. So you don't think architects should be trained for this. You think somebody else should.

Reply to
gruhn