White Spirits

Someone asked what white spirits is. I don't know what it is. Mineral spirits? They referenced the term as being used in England/ Britain.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

It's what we use for thinning oil paints and cleaning brushes, a cheaper version of turpentine. Sometimes called turps substitute. I don't know what you would call it in the US.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Possibly Coleman fuel for camp stoves/lanterns etc., I have heard that referred to as White Gas.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

------------------------------- You can buy both "Mineral Spirits" and "Paint Thinner" in the USA.

Both are less expensive than turps and are distillate based.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

'Spiritus' in The Netherlands is denatured alcohol. Related? Dunno. Mixed with green soap, it is used for cleaning justabout everything.

Reply to
Robatoy

'Shine.

Reply to
Father Haskell

it's this :

g.bon

Are they the same thing?

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

Not quite. IIRC, paint thinner is slightly less refined but for practical purposes, they are the same.

Reply to
dadiOH

"more or less", some less-so than others.

They are both "light petroleum distallate" based products, Mineral spirits is a fairly specific formulation, while "paint thinner" allows considerable variance, and may include some measure of 'other stuff' as well.

For many uses, they are effectively interchangable.

mineral spirits _does_ burn somewhat 'cleaner'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi