When is enough ENOUGH??!!!

I tend to save EVERY little piece of wood scrap!

I've got a box full of so many pieces of wood scrap...pieces that I KNOW I'll need 10 years down the road...for a shim, etc. lol

When do YOU guys finally throw out a scrap piece? Do YOU feel guilty? lol

Have a nice weekend...

Trent

Trent©

I would never throw them out. I bury them in the back yard in a small pine casket with a headstone. After the religious service I feel lots better.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

of course, the making little pine casket leaves wood scraps that have to be buried so your build a little pine casket, , ,which leaves scraps to be buried. . .

Reply to
SwampBug

Only thing worse than saving tiny scraps is getting to use one. That justifies saving even more of them. Yes, I do feel guilty tossing even a 2' x 6". It may be just what you need to fit something. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I send the shavings to the crematorium. And the ashes to the columbarium, which I visit regularly.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Reply to
Steven Bliss

Ye-e-e-s-s-s-s. . .it does sound like it's for the birds. . .

Reply to
SwampBug

I tend to save about everything as well and I often end up using it. I'm about to post a picture on a.b.p.w. of one of my projects with scrap pieces. This was several pieces of left over oak that were about 4 1/2" long and two smaller pieces of 1/4" walnut. It is a small box for communion at church -- space for the cup and a wafer. Don't fuss about picture quality -- it's a new digital and I've never used one before. That might be a gloat other than the reason I got it -- turned [mumble] years old today.

Reply to
Scratch Ankle Wood

A bit of reverence, please. These are WOOD SCRAPS we're talking about here.

-- Ernie (genuflecting)

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

When my Lady needs to fire up the woodstove here In The Woods In Vermont, there is a natural scrap-sorting process in the 'scrap box'. If I'm not home, some small pieces of cherry get fired up.

All the cherry I have has been 'rescued' from the woodpile already. 9 years ago I burned it all. These days, I've been known to bring an occasional nice 4 foot log section of Cherry or hard Maple, along with more conventional sizes, to my friend Nick with the Woodmiser saw mill.

His eyebrows move around over top of his glasses. "I'm not sure which one of you is the WoodMiser", he chuckles...

Reply to
Terry King

I thought it was just me who had the problem. Comforting to know I have company. One thing I came up with ( I like to do turnings) was turned wooden pulls that fasten to the end of lamp and ceiling chains. Lasted a good while until one of my daughters told me she was going to convert all her lamps to those damn twist switches. She may not get a share of my first million.

There is a modified spur center which makes it easier to get the right internal dimensions for a lamp pull. If anyone gives a damn, ask, and I will go downstairs and find the catalog where I found it.

Bob Moody

Reply to
Bob Moody

Sat, Jul 19, 2003, 10:14am snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Trent=A9) asks: When do YOU guys finally throw out a scrap piece?

I don't understand the question as stated. I don't have scrap, just wood, small pieces of wood, and smaller pieces of wood.

I do generate sawdust, which mostly gets thrown out. Works great in the winter to get traction on ice or packed snow, for the car.

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 16 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Reply to
SwampBug

Too true, JOAT. But for me, 'scrap' is when I buy wood from the pile marked 'scrap' at my favorite lumber store. They're nice chunks of wood just sitting there for 25 cents apiece. The pieces I buy are about .5 board feet, but it's usually maple and sometimes cherry, even occasionally mahogany and walnut (though smaller pieces). Sometimes the maple has nice figure, too. They call it scrap, I call it a new jewelry box.

david

Reply to
D K Woods

In my dictionary they're the second strike:

col·um·bar·i·um (kol´?m-bâr'e-?m) also col·um·bar·y (kol'?m-ber´e) noun plural col·um·bar·i·a (-e-?) also col·um·bar·ies

  1. a. A vault with niches for urns containing ashes of the dead. b. One of the niches in such a vault.
  2. a. A dovecote. b. A pigeonhole in a dovecote.
[Latin columbarium, sepulchre for urns, dovecote, from columba, dove.]

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

I've never seen a dove in a coat. How do they fly?

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Very carefully. . .if it is a 'cote-of-mail' then you need a carrier pigeon, not a dove. . .

LOL! I need to fire my speel chunker. . .dovecote

Reply to
SwampBug

l have a lot of scrap l save, then if I go to use it, I think it's too nice to use ,so i'll look for a smaller or more beat up piece to use. thanks, Tony D.

Reply to
Tony D.

message news:...

I usually throw it out the day before I find a use for it.

/// Smokey

Smokey