What is it? Set 447

I need some help with the second last one this week:

Rob H.

#2593: I eventually noticed it could be adjusted for square, much like a steel square. This leads me to the shallow guess that it could be a jig.

#2594: Guess: A grip to be used by a blacksmith? He might use it to help keep track of a small piece of steel in the forge and while working it?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
2593, can't think of the offical name for it. But, it's a frame used for holding movable type, for a printing press. 2594, no clue. 2595, no clue. 2596, someone else mentioned chain saw bar. Devices similar to this were bolted to the front of a chain saw body. It allowed the operator to put more down force on the saw bar, to cut faster. 2597. no clue. 2598, no clue.

Hey, that's a good set. You really found some new ones.

.

Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
2594, this could be pounded into wood, and then a rope through the ring. Used to pull logs, for example.

.

2594 As the po> I need some help with the second last one this week:
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
2593: I think it might be a paver mold. 2594: Log pull. For driving into the bark of a log at the end to pull it, usually by horses, now by winch..

2598: Track joiner for two sets of track coming together, either for warehouse, lumber yard, or mining operation. Some used carts, others flats.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Rob, it looks like you said 6 inches, but could this be 6 feet?

It looks like the back of a trolley car in the mines or warehouse. The pin could go in and it would hold. But to prevent the pin from being removed the latch could be swung , the pin inserted, then the latch made firm around a notch in the pin.

Would be great to see a shot from the p> I need some help with the second last one this week:

Reply to
tiredofspam

2593 -

2594 -

2595 -

2596 - Bark teeth for a chain saw.

2597 -

2598 - Track intersection for old floor mounted rail systems. Could be auto plant or similar.

Reply to
Steve W.

posts from 4 planks (hollow post) and/or laminated wood - or two lengths of angle iron welded on the edges.

Or itty-bitty picture frames...

Only one size, but on a production line that's what you want - and about 100 of them churned out in bulk. They need to set while the glue dries.

2594 - scribing divider. Slightly adjustable. 2595 - Hmmm, 15 sections... Nothing past general order-picking, or 15 colors of bulk skeins of embroidery floss... 2596 - Looks like the Dog Teeth on a chainsaw, under the motor - Pull up against the log and it pulls the chain down for hogging. 2597 - Wagon tailgate latch? 1871 would have to be an enclosed cargo horse-drawn wagon. 2598 - Trolley Wire frog for a light rail streetcar. For the wheel-tip trolley poles. But no clamp for the Wye-side wire...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

Yes, it's a marker or scribe for a particular purpose.

Reply to
Rob H.

It sure resembles a "cotter pin"-- a big one (!), maybe for use on a steam powered engine, like on a train?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The person who sent the photo asked his friend who owns it for the length but hasn't heard back yet. He thought it was around 6 inches but it could be a little larger, I don't think it's six feet long but it's hard to say for sure. If I hear from him I'll let everyone know.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't think jig is the correct term for it but it _was_ used for holding something, the patent states it's was to be used "in **** cutting".

Reply to
Rob H.

I can see where it might be a useful guide for topping 4x4 fence posts.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

#2597 My SWAG is that it is half of an old door lock. Maybe for a garage door, or similar.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2593 looks as if it would clamp squares between 4 and 5.5". If you cut such a square on the butt of a log, the clamp might help you cut a square timber, using a guided saw or perhaps hand tools. 2594 could help a carpenter use chisels to cut a groove about an inch wide and up to 2" deep. It would scribe, then find spots where the groove was too narrow.
Reply to
J Burns

2593) Never seen anything like it before. At a guess, it is to hold a wood 4x4 upright while concrete is poured around it and allowed to set. 2594) These look like some kind of tongs used by a blacksmith.

At a guess from the shape, the two points are put in a hole in the workpiece, and the ring around the shanks is slid down towards the ring at the handle end, thus allowing the points to spread apart and grip the workpiece.

2595) Hmm ... fifteen compartments does not give a clue like say 26 would (type for a printer or alphabetical groupings of objects) and it does not look deep enough to hold sheet music books, though it could serve as a piano bench once the lid is closed.

And you call it a desk, but it does not really look tall enough to be a desk.

So -- no -- no guesses.

2596) This, however, is clear. It is the claw bolted to a chainsaw just below where the blade attaches to control the chainsaw (and its operator) being drawn into the work being cut. 2597) I find it difficult to be sure which holes are being described in this one. Perhaps a second photo showing the other position of the lever would help.

It looks sort of like a window latch on steroids. And it looks as though the flat piece nearest the bottom of the photo has had two ends broken off which completed the holes for two of the screws intended to mount it. The center hole in that flat piece looks as though it was a third screw hole for mounting it.

2598) Strange -- and another point of view would help on this one as well.

Hmm ... perhaps a "frog" for where two rails join into one, or one splits into two depending on which direction you are traveling.

A bit small for modern railroad rails, but perhaps for the rails used in a mine for ore carts? Certainly for use with flanged wheels similar to those on railroad cars.

Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Marking the spacing of nails in a horseshoe?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Good job on getting the trolley switch. The latch is still unidentified but the rest of the answers can be seen here:

Rob H.