What is it? Set 386

I think that I know the answer for the second item but I'm not 100% sure:

Rob H.

2232: an ice block carrier or dragger 2230: hair combs for lice or fleas 2228: a spyhole through a door 2227: a dirt clod breaker-upper
Reply to
George W Frost

2229. Vacuum secured drill press.
Reply to
kfvorwerk

2227 looks like a concrete tool . Used to push the aggregate below the surface , so you can get a decent finish .
Reply to
Snag
2227 Fish grill 2228 Door knocker and peep hole 2229 Jewelry drill press or riveter 2230 lice combs 2231 snuff bottle 2232 loggers tools

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

2230 - Graining combs for faux finish grain patterns
Reply to
joeljcarver

#2230 A blank for making the tune differentiating part that they put in musical boxes (that you wind up)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Oops, I got that backwards, this would have to be the "tone/scale" differentiating part. Small one and large one for different octaves--clip tines to appropriate length to get the tones in the scale required. Admittedly, this is just a guess (looks familiar though!).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Someone else had suggested this but it doesn't have any mounting holes so I don't think this is what it's for.

Reply to
Rob H.

This particular drill was used for something other than a safe, I'm not sure if locksmiths use a similar tool or not.

This answer is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

How about a plate glass drill?

Reply to
tnik

Correct! This drill was used for mirrors but since they're made of glass that close enough for me.

Reply to
Rob H.
2228: maybe a port for a speaking tube? Open, the servants can hear you, closed they cannot.

2229: a vacuum cup drill; it clamps onto a surface (?glass, polished rock) and drills a hole in it.

2230: maybe a fabric-arts gizmo, to hold strands of some kind of braidwork project?\

2232: looks like a kind of carpet (canvas?) stretcher.

Reply to
whit3rd

2227) Looks like a tool for straining out lumps from a sewage pool.

If the vanes are sharp edged, perhaps for chopping something up to fine particles.

2228) At a guess -- it goes on the inside of a door, and there is a similar decorative piece on the outside. This is similar in function to the wide-angled peepholes in apartment and older hotel doors.

The trapdoor keeps it from being used to spy into the apartment, and the rest is to hide the existence of it in decorative features. The similar decorative feature on the outside of the door would simply disguise the presence of a hole in all the filigree -- at least until someone opened the inside trapdoor. Ideally, there would be a glass plate between the two, so someone could not poke the trapdoor open from the outside.

I guess that it could also serve to close a speaking tube from the apartment down to the entranceway -- preventing its use for eavesdropping, and again hiding what would be otherwise an ugly feature.

2229) Looks quite similar to the adaptors used to take a hand-held electric drill and turn it into a marginal drill press.

Except that the drill motor here does not look like a hand-held electric drill. This may have been made this way from scratch as a low-budget drill press, or be the result of someone modifying one of the adaptors to make something a bit more usable.

Interesting features here include the suction cup operated by a lever to lock it onto a smooth work surface, and the open frame in the drill area with at least what looks like marks at the near edge to show the centerline of the drill. The frame has a recess to allow a backing plate to be dropped in, and I suspect that there is another mark along the front (a view which we don't get in these photos) to help form a set of cross-hairs for positioning the workpiece. It also appears to have fine adjustments for making the table of the drill press level, which suggests some specific task for which being level is quite important.

The wiring looks like perhaps around 1930-1950 period. Given that the plug is right in front of the column of about the same color I can't really tell whether it is a two-pin or a three-pin plug.

2230) "Combs" used for making the decorative swirls in the inside cover pages of old (or newer hand-bound) books. 2231) To hold black powder for something like a starters gun? 2232) For moving logs?

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Perhaps intended to be glued in place? This one was perhaps never installed? (Or, perhaps some finishing nails could be hidden in the cups of the acorn caps.)

Maybe to go on the outside of a coffin to allow a live burial to breathe for a while and perhaps be rescued?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

For this application, the ends would have to be in line to line up with the plucker pins on the cylinder which carries the tune. This means that the slots would have to be of varying length to produce the varying pitch tines.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I've seen a similar set-up with very strong magnets to hold the drill onto the safe

Yes ... and I have two that I've misplaced in my shop. I use them to simulate feather vermiculation when I paint a duck decoy.

Reply to
joeljcarver

Obviously, you are correct. Thanks! -Bill

Reply to
Bill

Canvas stretcher is the closest guess so far, it was used on an animal farm in England, Wales or Scotland.

Reply to
Rob H.

Where I found this tool the vanes were called blades so I would say they're probably sharp edged, so "chopping something up to fine particles" is a good guess for this one.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.