Thought regarding DW735 planer

Ahhh... that would make sense. Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Well that sounds like a valid point. Although I plane a lot of Ipe and do not have a wave or ripple problem with my old Ryobi planer. I does however have the old style resharpenable blades.

Reply to
Leon

Leon,

I had the tearout problem with brand new blades and when they had been resharpened with my old Delta.

I am curious as to what you plane the IPE for. I am in the process of completing my deck with IPE. Absolutely love the look on the deck. I bought enough extra to make some benches and other things so I am curious for ideas. My wife wants me to build a bench for our shower out of IPE, but I am not sure. I guess with a waterproof glue it would be OK. My understanding from some people that work with it on decks is that doesn't finish well after being sanded. Any tips on gluing and finishing? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Now I have to run out back and get a few pieces to plane down some.

David

Reply to
DL

Wood magazine, June/July 2004 has a simple garden bench that is sized for decking material. I built one in a couple of easy weekends. With the leftovers I made a couple of matching tables. They were also posted on abpw last year or I you can see them on my web page, under woodworking, of course. -- Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

I need to end up with pieces that are 3/8" thick. I generally buy Ipe rough cut that is 1" thick. I resaw it on my TS and end up with 2 bieces tha can be planed down to 3/8" thick.

I am in the process of

I have never finished Ipe but have tried some shellac on it.

Ipe really does not need to be finished.

Any tips on gluing and finishing? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Additionally I have built a BBQ pit shelf with Ipe and rebuilt 3 park bench style benches. The benches had 12 or 13 pieces 1-1/2" wide strips that formed the seat and back. The ends were cast iron. After sanding, Ipe holds it smooth finish and splinters are no longer a problem. I have had pretty good luck using polyurethane glue.

Something to think about though, I turned a 1"x1"x8" piece of Ipe on the lather and sanded it on the lathe. With a paper towel I applied Minwax Finishing Wax to the spinning spindle and 2 years later the piece retains a nice satin finish. Basically sanded to 220 or more and waxed the Ipe has a very nice deep color with that hand rubbed look that is as hard as a rock. I think I would not worry with a finish at all except for a little wax.

Play with it, use a fine grit sand paper and try some wax.

Reply to
Leon

Leon,

I think for indoor applications the wax is a great idea but I am not sure how the wax would weather outside. I will say that I put an edge treatment on the endgrain (Anchorseal) to stop the splitting and there have been no ill effects to the wax in the rain or snow. Outdoors, I will do either unfinished or MESSMER'S U.V. PLUS for Hardwoods Natural wood finish. Primary reason for this is to minimize the greying of the wood with UV protection. As I understand it, the Ocean City Boardwalk was installed using IPE 25 years ago. I went to look at it last summer and it looks great. Doesn't begin to show wear.

Wonder how a waxed finished bench would do in a shower. I would expect that leaving it unfinished would be the best thing.

I expect for the deck I will end up making 3 - 4 benches and a few side tables. We also are going to build a 14' X 14' platform out of IPE to put one of the nice 12' X 12' Gazebo's Costco sells. For this I expect a larger table will be requested.

I'm sure this would make some beautiful pens.

I will do some tests and let you know. Thanks for the guidance.

David

Reply to
DL

Yeah, the finish would simply be for appearance and not protection. Ipe reportedly will last out doors for 50 + years with no finish.

The wax will probably not help any at all. I will simply add a shiune to the surface. IMHO the Ipe will hold its color indoors out of sun light. Put a piece in the shower and see how it holds up. Be sure to sand it first.

Reply to
Leon

Mine are too. As a 735 owner, the slower speed has saved my bacon a coupl'a times. Maybe knowledge or technique wulda/culda done the same. Dunno. Ran some Lacewood thru it the other day down to 1/4". Nary a hint of tearout or snipe.

And for the comment about it not being a finish planer - the finish on my stuff (albeit with pretty new blades) is amazing.

Unless they meant Finnish planer, then I'd have to agree.

Reply to
patrick conroy