What's the price of wood these days?

Just wondering what the price of wood is these days during the current recession?

I see a significant number of cabinet shops going out of business due to low demand in the housing market.

Is it up, down or what?

Thanks for the info.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Do cabinet shops use wood? I thought they used man-made stuff. I'm sorry to hear about any of them going out of business... : (

Reply to
Bill

It still seems to be all about location, concerning price. I have been stocking up on wood cheaper than I can remember ever paying anywhere from what I consider to be one of the highest priced places to buy wood.

And some of the places that have always been high are higher still.

Reply to
Leon

We are in late stages of finishing out a house in Southeast Kansas. We dug the hole last August and moved in, unfinished, during March When you break "wood" into categories of construction lumber and finish hardwood products prices are generally down from our bids of

16-18 months ago.

Construction Lumber - All dimensional lumber (2x4, 2x6, etc) was delivered cheaper than bid. Recent trips to the lumber yard seems to indicate prices have dropped even more since last autumn, but not much. Nearly all of the sheet goods (Ply, OSB, etc,) was delivered at the bid price. I credit part of the price decline to a very good lumber dealer who works hard to keep his customers happy.

Hardwood - The SE Kansas and SW Missouri area is full of Oak, Walnut, Pecan, Hickory and similar hardwoods. I don't believe the prices for these materials has changed much in the past three years. However I did pick up 150 bf of Red Oak a couple of weeks ago and it was slightly cheaper than the mills price list. But based on conversation, I think he gave us a good price knowing we would be back. In other words, they were feeling the pinch too.

We have two local "cabinet shops" and both are very busy. O

Reply to
RonB

SNIP

hard to keep his customers happy.

In the last 6 weeks I have purchased close to 100 BF of Red Oak for $1.99 per BF,, Basically S4S. Basically, because it is still random width but both edges and sides are parallel and relatively smooth. If you measure

6.25" on one end, it is 6.25" on the other. I can get S2S Red Oak from my regular supplier for $3.10 per BF.

Go figger.

Reply to
Leon

I have found that wood prices greatly vary, depending on where you get it. Some are $0 per board foot, some way overpriced. There are good deals to be found, but that is largely opportunity. Recently, got a great deal on a load of butternut (about $3 bf). A lot of supply and demand in buying/selling wood. Cherry seems to be holding demand, better values in maples, oaks and walnut.

Reply to
Phisherman