More Dust Collection Recomendations...

Well, been thru the archives, wandered thru the tool p*rn catalogs, and still not sure about a dust collector. Here's what I think I want:

1-1/2 hp or greater, 1000cfm, $300-$400 price. I have a 6 inch jointer, 13 inch planer, and a 10 inch contractor saw. And a fair sized garage to play in. My use is as a hobby, though retired, so I may do a fair amount of playing.

I think I will look for a cyclone separator later, so single stage seems OK based on cost. I have 2 possibilities: Delta 50-750, or Delta

50-850. Not too sure of the difference. But am open to other suggestions.

Thanks to all for your ideas.

Rich.....

Reply to
rich

Hello Rich, I recently purchased the Delta 50-760 after choosing it over the

50-850. They appear to have similar performance (yet if you rely on reviews the 760 was chosen over the 850 by a tester for Fine Woodworking.) Both are 1&1/2 hp and move 1200cfm The 850 cost more but it can be easily adapted to a canister filter. I added a cyclone immediately (cost of the top only- had a trash can) and because I made my unit stationary I relaced the stock hose with a shorter run directly from the cyclone and then used another short run to the line out from my sanding/DC room.

The 760 services seven machines by running the length of my shop through a 4 inch central line and when I want to sand somthing I disconnet it from the manifold and hook it up in the separate room. (By the way, I chose to put the hole in the block wall at waist height; a reference to an earlier post of mine) The farthest machine is an 8 inch jointer and the DC system is able to draw all of the chips, flakes, etc even though the total length is over 30 feet with two (unavoidable) right angle bends in it.

I have seen similar sized units on the web for less than the Delta's but I wanted to support my local shop so I bought it there.

By the way, Delta is offering a $30 rebate on the 50-760 until October

31

Well, been thru the archives, wandered thru the tool p*rn catalogs, and

Reply to
marc rosen

Marc,

What cyclone did you add? About how much total room did it take?

I have an older Delta 1.5 hp single stage, new in storage and have been trying to decide wether to sell it and buy a cyclone unit such as an Oneida or to add a cyclone to it. I'm expanding my shop and as part of the expansion I'm going to put in a stationary dust collection system.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Hello Frank, I bought a "Dust Separator", model W1049 marketed by Woodstock International. It fits atop a standard 20 inch diameter trashcan and sits adjacent to the wall. My DC rests alongside of it via the short tubing I mentioned earlier. The unit seems to work adequately- there is sawdust in the claer poly bag and sawdust, chips, chunks, etc in the trashcan. I'm pleased with it; cost about $30.

Marc

Frank Boettcher wrote:

Reply to
marc rosen

Hi, All,

Thanks for the input. I have a call in to the local hardware store to see if they can order stuff. I too would rather support them than Amazon. Think I'll go with the 50-760 Delta.

Rich.....

marc rosen wrote:

Reply to
rich