Re: “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” will be in Buffalo, NY Nov. 7 to Nov. 14, 2009

Yeah, and the chances of that lesson being learned to the point of

> making a lasting-enough difference in that time frame to let them > carry on indefinitely w/ a housing cost burden that surely must at a > minimum be several multiples of what they previously didn't have the > resources (either purely financial or management skills or both) to > handle would be vanishingly small I'd think. > > Almost inevitably they're likely to leave them in worse shape than > they were before would be my guess in virtually every case long term. > > You'd hope for better result but it's a case where they didn't really > "teach to fish" but "gave a whale". The net benefit would probably be > far greater but less suitable for TV if the network simply donated the > monies to Habitat or the Salvation Army or a local United Way.

That sounds like the typical family on the show was raised by wolves in the north woods and can just barely dress themselves and eat with utensils. Come on, they've built houses for disabled cops and firefighters and Iraq war veterans, and middle-class families that either had some bad luck or made a choice to take on needy relatives or handicapped kids or whoever at the cost of their own comfort. I'm sure *some* of the folks who've been given mini-mansions on EMHE have found themselves in over their heads (I've read of a few cases), but that hardly applies to them all. No offense, but the phrase "sour grapes" comes to mind when I hear this sort of speculation about how those poor dumb slobs on EMHE almost inevitably couldn't handle having an exceptionally nice house.

Reply to
DGDevin

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:07:23 -0400, the infamous Nova scrawled the following:

I was tapped to be the handyman for a salon makeover program last year. I declined once I saw the waiver docs. If they got mad at me on the show, they could totally destroy my business without any recourse. Please be -very- careful what you sign for the goddamned TV companies, Yack.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I agree, they go way over the top all too often, that's one way in which I feel the show has gone downhill. I assume that's driven by sponsors who want their products featured in the most striking settings possible. But I feel that approach has distorted the nature of the show. I also miss them showing how the houses are built, that is almost an afterthought now. It would be interesting to see what's become of all the new homeowners over the years....

Reply to
DGDevin

That strikes me as a simplistic explanation for poverty. Some people have the odds against them from the get-go. If you grow up in a broken home in a crime-ridden neighborhood with crappy schools and little in the way of economic opportunity then the deck is stacked against you. That isn't to say some people don't become successful despite being born on the wrong side of town, but the percentage who make it has got to be a lot lower than among people who grew up in safe neighborhoods with good schools etc. IMO welfare should always be accompanied by job training or something like that so people can eventually stand on their own feet. But I sure wouldn't assume that someone who needs welfare is only in that situation because they made bad choices, there might have been no choices to make.

Reply to
DGDevin

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:11:24 -0400, the infamous Nova scrawled the following:

Sickening, isn't it?

That's most likely the very smartest move you can make.

Reply to
Larry Jaques