Pool cue question

I got an old looking one piece pool cue the other day. It looks like a combination of maple and rosewood. 1/3 rosewood, 2/3 maple. It has a piece of ferritic metal at the joint, as a supermagnet sticks on it. This had to be made in two pieces. All the old house cues I've seen had the wood coming to points. I have never seen one like this with a joint.

Look at it at :

post any comments. I'm guessing 1940's.

Not worth anything, just interesting.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The darker wood is probably Mahogany (but I've played pool for more years than I've studied wood). The fact that the shape is not more "conical" is probably due to wear occuring during trimming the leather tips. This one is in need of a trim now. The diameter of the cross section of the leather should be the same at that of the wood, near the tip. Hope that helps.

Bill

I have never seen one like this with a joint.

Reply to
Bill

How about posting a pic of the joint? Art

Reply to
Artemus

I only see 2 pics - tip & rosewood. Art

Reply to
Artemus

I just went there. Slide the slider. There's a third pic on the right that may not show up on a smaller screen shot.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think it's held together with, basically, a piece of threaded steel rod (I'm sure there's a name for such a connector). The black gasket probably helps avoid all sorts of nasty things that could happen (from wood being twisted against wood in opposing directions) if it were not there. I don't think it was a "house cue" (why have a 2-piece house cue?)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I did that yesterday and there were only 2 pics. Today there is only 1 pic(wood joint) no matter how much I move the sliders. Art

Reply to
Artemus

So, did you finally see the one of the joint?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yes. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Yeah, they are called joints, and are only used in multi-piece cues, far as I know. One piece cues don't have, or need a threaded metal joint. If a one piece cue has a threaded metal joint, it is either stuck, or someone glued it together, making it harder to steal than a two piece cue.

The black gasket

House cue means the cue is available to everyone in the "house" and has nothing at all to do with how many pieces the cue has. There is a Fox and Hound pool room where I live that has all two piece house cues. I would guess the main reason few house cues are two piece is anyone could easily break them down, stick one in their pool case and take it home, making it their own "personal" cue as opposed to a "house" cue. A bit harder to walk out with a one piece 60" "house cue".

As for reasons to have two piece house cues, for me, the shaft is easier to stick in my lathe and do maintenance.

Anyway, I never could see a picture of the cue Steve supposedly posted. All I got was a picture titled "pool square footage".

Reply to
Jack

"Jack" wrote

Sorry, Jack. After the discussion dropped off, I posted another pic that had to do with a math problem.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B